Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel worlds?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Parallel worlds?

Just a thought.....
With the problems of the "uprising" in Libya..... it has become the "mission" of the UK, US, and European Governments, to "intervene" on behalf of the "rebels".. trying to "impose" a no- fly zone over libya, to prevent Colonel Gadaffi using his Air Force, ... and yet, these same governments have been quite happy for their business communities to trade, and deal with the "Regime" of Colonel Gadaffi, who has been in power for some 30 or more years... Mr. Cameron, has said today, that he has no intention of leaving the rebels to their fate.... (whatever implications that has for our armed forces).....
Now,.... Colonel Gadaffi, seems to be winning the battle to regain control of his country, and "putting down" the revolution, using the army and airforce that the UK, US, and European governments trained and supplied . Col Gadaffi`s son, has just been on tv saying the uprising will be put down in a few days...  If he is successful, will the UK, US and European governments, continue to trade in arms, and other goods, with Colonel Gadaffi?
OK.... you have seen the news, and know the scenario...
BUT.... let`s try this scenario...
An uprising starts in Deepest Cornwall, spreading through Darkest Devon, and Somerset, even getting the Southern counties of Wales to join in.... The UK government decides to use the Army to try to quell the disturbances, caused by high fuel prices, and increases in vat, and personal income taxes....
So,... The U.A.E., Syria, Iraq, and other Middle East governments, get together, and decide that they will impose a No Fly Zone,... over the UK, and start to gather forces together, with the intention of backing up the "rebels" of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, and South Wales, against the "legitimate" government of the UK.....
In other words,,...What gives the  UK, US, and European governments the right  to interfere in another country`s internal problems. ??  Undecided

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Parallel worlds?

Legally?  A UN mandate.
Morally?  You decide.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No idea but it isn't making us many friends around the globe is it. I've long held the idea that we should be keeping our noses out of other countries affairs. We're not a super power like we were pre WW2 and we need to recognise that.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
sabayon
Grafter

Quote from: shutter

In other words,,...What gives the  UK, US, and European governments the right  to interfere in another country`s internal problems. ??   Undecided

Oil!  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

No right whatsoever. If Hague wants to get involved he should negotiate with both sides for change at the offset of problems.
Whatever you do don’t back a revolution, (revolutionaries have long memories and will remember you assisted with the initial overthrow).
Think Hague made a few mistakes (helicopter and Venezuela statement).
Fixes: 47

I believe we need a 'world police' simply because the planet is so much smaller now and far more interrelated and interdependent.
The UN is as good as any and America along with Europe has the resources.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Are the UN really "the World Police?
In a "normal" society, like ours..... if a group of people decide to come down your street, throwing bottles and creating havoc, then YOU would feel justified in calling the Police, to come and sort it out....
If a group of people decide to "demonstrate" (in a similar manner to previous line), against the Government..... Then  "the Government" call in the Police.  
Both "scenarios" are "internal" problems.... and have nothing to do with the UN or US or Europe.....
So scaling up the situation, as it is in Libya, Bahrain, etc.... it should be up to the Government of the country involved, to decide the "appropriate action".... i.e. keep it "internal"  , or call in the UN Police to sort it out if the government feel they have not got the resouces  (or the will) .....
somehow, I do not feel that the UN, US, UK or Europe should get involved in, what is really and "internal power struggle", .... OK.... it is violent, and WE don`t particularly like the guy in charge.... but it is not OUR responsiblity to assist the rebels to remove him, after so long doing absolutely the opposite....
going back to my original posting..... If, for the sake of argument, the SNP, decided to take over power,in the same way as the "rebels" in Libya,  of the English Parliament.... should Gadaffi and his associates be able to come along to the UN and say... We want to establish a no fly zone over  the UK, to assist the SNP (example only) to overthrow the Queen, and the present parliament.....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont try and live in East Anglia if you thing the police will come and sort you out
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12762807 ; the Con/Dems have put a stop to that
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

They are too busy doing this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1362044/Essex-council-police-hire-sniffer-wardens-smoke-driv...
Tendring District Council and Essex Police are so eager to catch employees having a puff behind the wheel that they've set up road blocks across the county.
Armed with nothing but a heightened sense of smell, the sharp-nosed enforcers lie in wait, sniffing inside the cars of suspected lawbreakers, and scouring for used ashtrays.

geoffp0
Grafter

Pierre, I don't think that our part of the world will be the only ones affected by the police cutbacks, one thing that woman said yesterday that made me smile was when asked if the police cut back will cause crime rates to soar her reply was "Of course not" come on Ms May what planet are you on? Embarrassed
Geoff
geoffp0
Grafter

Thats correct Jim, if you phone up and say another crime is being commited I expect you would be told all police are busy catching drivers having a smoke Cheesy
Geoff
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We don't need any country to impose a no fly zone over the UK all we need is another volcano or if that's not available a chat with the BA unions would probably sort something out.
Why we keep poking our nose into other peoples affairs is beyond me. The politicians can't sort out the problems in this country never mind trying to sort out other countries.
They say that if the first Hundred people who were pushing to get involved in any wars (such as politicians) were the first ones to be sent out in the war zone then fewer wars would take place.
Very few of those itching to start wars are directly involved in the action, they had the right idea years ago when the King was leading the troops !!
geoffp0
Grafter

100% Agree with you there Gleneagles,
Geoff
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Supposing a no fly zone is imposed, we know Gadaffi will break it. What follows?
Are politicians so short sighted? Can't believe this is happening.
Community Veteran

To create a no-fly zone, the UN force must first disable (euphemism for bomb) the Libyan Air Defence system. then it must "disable" any aircraft/airfields and missile systems/control centres
Of course, no one will get hurt, only the "bad" guys being controlled by Gadaffi...
Sad