cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paracetamol

myredhotcar
Grafter

Re: Paracetamol

@ Mav: I knew it was one of the two, I think Seroxat is now contra-indicated for those under 18. I know that in 90s both Prozac and Seroxat were literally handed out like sweeties by some. To be fair it must be difficult as a GP; you hear about the new wonder treatment and you have a long list of patients who are struggling. Part of the issue is also Big Pharma.
@ Gleneagles: Research and moderation definitely seems like a good approach to take.
@ Nanotm: Glad to hear your son pulled through. I have a cousin who had meningitis; she spent her first couple of years in hospital with a shunt (not sure if she still has it fitted). She too suffers some hearing problems as a result but I was too young at the time to remember how she was treated. I remember visiting her in hospital a lot, and that she was very poorly and in what  I think was an incubator.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

so am I, and glad to hear your cousin survived as well.
although in the period immediately after and up until he was about 5 my son had some quite profound hearing difficulties his body seams to have largely overcome them, his main problem was he couldn't hear himself speak, consequently he either didn't make any noise or shouted at full volume and no in between, we regularly take him for check-ups and the results are positive which means he should be able to go for any job he wants in the future, when the complication was first diagnosed the link the drug was immediately made and we were asked if we would be suing the hospital for giving the treatment, to both my wife and myself this idea was unconscionable, regardless of any difficulties it might of caused our child lived when he would otherwise have died and to top it off we had requested it be given immediately
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nanotm
although in the period immediately after and up until he was about 5 my son had some quite profound hearing

It is, perhaps, a very sad reflection (on me) regarding the reputation you've built up on this forum that my instant reaction is not to believe you.  Sorry.
Quote from: nanotm
Quote from: AndyH
I would love to see some evidence of how viral meningitis can kill a child in one hour

speaking as someone who's child died from such an incident i would have to assume your mentally ill to feel that way, i wouldn't wish for anyone to ever experience such a thing

I'm genuinely sorry if you've been that unlucky enough to have had two children with the condition and lost one of them..
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

thanks, unfortunately life sometimes chucks us a curve ball or three,
I cant think of my daughter without remembering the horror of that morning and trying in vain to resuscitate her even after almost 11 years I can barely type this as my eyes are welling up, and I desperately want to disappear back into a bottle of vodka just as I did back then, if it wasn't for the shouter his twin and their sister I probably would of stayed in that bottle much longer than a few hours. but life goes on and you either get with the program or get out of the way, my shrink kept telling me to stop holding my emotions in but I cant or I fear I wont be able to do what's right for the rest of them, maybe when there older and its not so important I can let myself fall apart emotionally since I'm already physically a wreck .....
you know the worst part is when our youngest was born I couldn't get him from his room until he was a toddler, I could take him in for changing or put him to bed, and even now I cant go into a babies room on my own if the baby is in there, before i got injured we were clearing a building that was on fire, i could hear what sounded like a baby crying but i couldn't even go upstairs to check, the other team members took the upstairs while i cleared the cellar, luckily it didn't have dire consequences then but i dread to think what might of happened.
i guess i'll have ot get over this phobia in the coming years though as we get more relatives visiting and staying over with babies but i think my wife knows of my aversion to entering rooms alone, she just doesn't make me say it, maybe when i was seriously ill in the past i did mention it but i was so spaced out i don't remember that much, i was so terrified of our youngest not waking up i refused to put him to bed most nights and took stimulants to stay awake for days on end just to keep him close, lucky for my older kids my wife dragged me through that period and once he was older she helped me back on the right path, if it wasn't for her i probably would of done something dumb a long time ago and she was a lot more use than the various shrinks and therapists I've seen over the years, still i had some good friends that didn't judge me and that probably helped a lot as well,

sorry for derailing the thread a bit further but i needed ot get this out,
back on topic;
i still don't actually trust studies about debunking supposed myths of established facts that certain products interact when metabolised when those interactions can and have killed several people which has been documented and then proven in tests with death row inmates (nasty thing to do but the only way to test properly and there were volunteers probably bored of waiting for the sentence to be carried out) especially when those trials are done using lab tests (which don't mimic the human metabolic system properly) on behalf of a public body and funded by drug companies who make the drugs .....that might make me overly sceptical but certainly a lot more likely to stay alive if there is a next time for me to receive such a prescription.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you