Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paracetamol

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Paracetamol

A warning about excessive taking of Paracetamol.
People not being aware that several other proprietary medicines also contain Paracetamol.

After a Cat Bite, over a year ago now, I was prescribed Paracetamol, the maximum dose of 2 tablets, four times a day.
Supplied in boxes of 100 tablets, I was on the maximum dose for a couple of months, then reducing as time went by.
I did query with both the Hospital Consultant, and my GP, as to how safe this was, and was reassured that the maximum dose could be taken for a very long time with, in most people, no ill effects at all.
Over the last year, I have had regular Blood tests for Liver & Kidney function, all normal.
The automatic cross checking software in both my GP Surgery and Pharmacy ensure that no doubling up occurs.

However, this article does highlight taking over the counter medicines in addition to Paracetamol tablets
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2774017/Paracetamol-Could-overdosing-paracetamol-It-s-s-qu...
33 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Paracetamol

I see no excuse for not reading the labels or information leaflets within the packets. If unsure, consult a doctor or pharmacist. Even more important to do so if you are pregnant.
The lady in the article was very stupid and very lucky.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I know of someone who regularly takes Paracetamol and carries a pack with him at all times citing aches and headaches.
I'm not really one to judge as I won't take any medication orally but he does seem to be somewhat addicted but won't accept it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I take co-codamol several times a day and at one stage was also taking tramadol in the same quantities and timings for several years, fortunately I didn't get any major problems from this but my new GP practically had kittens seeing them both on prescription and take 2 4 times daily, meaning I was taking 2000mg of Paracetamol  4 times a day ..... something that didn't bother me as my pharmacist said it wasn't a harmful dose when first prescribed (although the goalposts change regularly) especially as I was undergoing monthly health monitoring tests including blood/urine at the time ......
I've heard of people getting serious problems though from just taking 2 Paracetamol  and a lemsip together (which is the same 2000mg of Paracetamol)  so maybe I was just fortunate
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star

Tramadol doesn't contain Paracetamol...  Tramacet does however.
Tramadol
Tramacet (Tramadol/Paracetamol)
nanotm
Pro

when I was getting prescribed it the box was a generic white one with the word tramadol across the top in black and underneath in red was a warning that the product contained paracetamol, since I don't go browsing drug stores or looking in controlled drug cabinets I never bothered to find out if they were all the same or not, just assumed that if being prescribed 2000mg of paracetamol there must be a reason like one didn't come without the other or at least not from a supplier my MO was using
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@PlusComUK,
I must be missing something here, you were bitten by a cat and took paracematol at the maximum dosage for 2 months followed by months on a lower dosage.?
I assume you were on antibiotics for a time to sort out the infection caused by the bite so the paracetamol were for the pain ? Must have been some bite or have I misread something ?
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: gleneagles
@PlusComUK,
I must be missing something here, you were bitten by a cat and took paracematol
I assume you were on antibiotics for a time to sort out the infection caused by the bite so the paracetamol were for the pain ? Must have been some bite

Cat Bite, severed Tendon in Pinky Finger, referred by GP to Plastic Surgeon emergency phone call, straight off to Hospital, operation next day.....

Morphine, NSAID opiates, Paracetamol, Intravenous Antibiotics, Antibiotics by mouth.....
A few days in Hospital, came out with an A4 sheet of medication !!
Yes, started off the Paracetamol on 2 tablets, four times a day, for around a couple of months, than as pain diminished, so did the Paracetamol.
But still on NSAID's Opiates, which were addictive, took a really grotty weekend to come off them
Everything under Medical Supervision.
Having a shower was fun !!
Keeping the bandaged hand dry, and one plus... Washing Up Gloves didn't fit for ages !!

We don't have Cats, it was a stranger.

Good job it wasn't a spider!

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@PlusComUK.
What were you doing to the cat for it to bite you like that ?
Fixes: 47

I'm giving my cat a good deal more respect now especially as she has just found 2 mice from somewhere to 'play with'.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
myredhotcar
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
I know of someone who regularly takes Paracetamol and carries a pack with him at all times citing aches and headaches.
I'm not really one to judge as I won't take any medication orally but he does seem to be somewhat addicted but won't accept it.

You should mention painkiller headaches to them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medication_overuse_headache
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/headaches/Pages/Painkillerheadaches.aspx

I was surprised recently when my mum, who's 86 and takes 6 Co codamol tables a day for arthritis, complained of getting headaches.
Interesting read in your links, thanks.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I'm giving my cat a good deal more respect..

Any Minor Injuries nurse will tell you that cat bites are bad news in terms of infection.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Any worst than human bits?