cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paperless Driving Licence 2015

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Paperless Driving Licence 2015

From 2015 all motorists will have to have a paperless driving licence but what does this mean for those drivers holding the old fashioned licence will they be required to hold the new version which includes a photograph and of more importance what if anything will it cost ?
http://www.pedigreeas.co.uk/PaperlessDrivingLicenceForMotoristsBy2015
15 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Paperless Driving Licence 2015

The article doesn't say that motorists have to have a photo licence, just that the current photo card+paper licence will change to photo card only.
Community Veteran

When I got my photocard driving licence (plastic) I also received a paper version as well headed 'Counterpart Driving Licence'
The paper version is issued as defined in the Road Traffic Act and there is an instruction to keep both the photocard and paper counterpart together.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I have just the paper licence - I've lived in the same place for years so haven't qualified by change of address and I refuse to pay for a plastic one.
Community Veteran

Eventually you're going to have to - like it or not.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Another 'paper only' license holder here (mind you it's starting to fall apart - actually that started several years ago).
The fewer things with my photograph the better.  Crazy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

I also have a card and paper licence, the paper version is a recent replacement for my old one which disintegrated.
The 'new' one is also suffering badly as I carry it with me.
By the way, has anyone tried to find out what information the DVLA holds about you by logging into their system with your Government Gateway User ID.
I did apply for and receive a User ID many moons ago and have forgotten it so tried to resurrect it but I keep going round in circles Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I have a plastic one but never carry the paper counterpart!
Recently whilst hiring a car in Rome, I used my plastic licence and my son-in-law used his paper counterpart. Both appeared to contain the relevant info for each driver as far as the hire co. were concerned!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: Strat
By the way, has anyone tried to find out what information the DVLA holds about you by logging into their system with your Government Gateway User ID.
I did apply for and receive a User ID many moons ago and have forgotten it so tried to resurrect it but I keep going round in circles Angry
I just logged in and I could see I have 'Motoring online' but all I could do is set a reference name for it. Other than that all I could appear to do is change email/password.
The gateway must hold a great deal of information for me as I have used it for other than motoring. It seems that you don't actually access the systems you want through gateway.gov.uk but through the service you require like change details on driving licence.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I have a small selection of IDs none of which work on the DVLA site.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@strat
I think you can create a new gateway ID.
I have two, a personal one and one I use for work stuff.
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

@strat  I've just sent you a PM

Community Veteran

I'll bet there are still some people driving around on their little red book.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Not legally, you HAD to replace those. Still got mine somewhere though.
Community Veteran

Lots of license changes, all to bring us in line with Europe.
By December 31st this year all people with a manual car licence and an automatic PCV licence MUST be automatically upgraded to entitle them to drive manual buses and coaches.  Which may go some way to explain some of the coach crashes on the continent.