Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper shredders

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

Paper shredders

Can anyone recommend a home paper shredder please.. the one we have shreds about 5 sheets then jams and has to cool down for 30 mins..Smiley

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Paper shredders

We have used Fellowes for years without problems (domestic use for personal papers etc probably 10-20 A4 sheets per month). Current machine double-cut so we feed two sheets max at once. In theory you can feed multiple sheets but in practice they jam. Keep the bin empty, surprising how fast it fills up and shreddings cannot fall clear of the cutters. Spray light oil into mechanism now and then, as recommended.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

We got this one :

Aurora AS1023CD 

Paid a bit extra for something decent, been used several times a week for the last seven years....

Highlighted
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 159

@TTman 

I have a fellows crosscut one. I oil it with shredder oil but it still occasionally jams so if it slows down I open it up and remove the clag. If it's jamming then have you tried stripping, cleaning and oiling it?

Highlighted
All Star

I have one of these and it too get some serious use and hasn't failed me since buying it 2016, it also does Credit Cards and CDs / DVDs.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

I have one with the "Woolworths" red trade mark name on it.... bought it a couple of years before woollies went bust !.. (just checked and that was Dec 2008... ! ! ! ! )  . still working !..

use it about once a month on quite a lot of paper ( fills up a black sack & some squashing down).

If you have a local pet shop, or animal rescue centre, you could give the shreddings to them.... might come in handy for pet bedding ????Huh

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

As      Baldrick1      said oil it with shredder oil never knew there was such a product when my shredder started to jam I vacuumed/cleaned the cutters and sprayed it with WD40 let the WD40 evaporate/dry  before using the shredder again

I do this when needed

Do I need to oil my shredder?
All paper shredders need to be oiled because paper dust builds up inside the cutting assembly. As a guide, oil your cross-cut shredder every 1/2 hour of shredding time.

HD

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Ours came from Woolies too. Supposedly can shred up to 10 sheets at once but only ever really works well with 2 sheets max, you can hear it slow down if you try more. As long as I stick to 2 it doesn't jam unless some of that peelable sticky sheet goes through it.

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,099

I’ve got a Fellowes Powershred 62Mc 10 Sheet Cross Cut.
It’s very good and had no issues after a few years.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@HelloDuck wrote:

Do I need to oil my shredder?
All paper shredders need to be oiled because paper dust builds up inside the cutting assembly. As a guide, oil your cross-cut shredder every 1/2 hour of shredding time.

HD

Oil not be doin` that.......  haven`t done it in 14 years  ... and it still works fine...  

as mayfly says...it struggles with three sheets....  but there again,... so would I.... 

Two sheets and a duvet are enough for me.... even if I`m three sheets to the wind  ! CheesyGrinCheesy

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Dry lubricant (like this) is probably better than oil. Oil (even light machine oil) will just attract dust, clog shredded paper together etc. But then shredders get so little use at home compared to an office environment.

As for @shutter, lord help us! I'll set me main sheets!  🤣

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Dry Lube, sounds like an oxymoron to me. 😂

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

And possibly painful!  Funny

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

I wasn't going to go there!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep I would be interested to know.

I've got an old cheapo one, which struggles enough to nuke 1 sheet at a time. Any more and it'll probably have no chance. I could do with a replacement. The one I have will probably burn out and set my house on fire.

I wonder if this one is made in China - I will check. Just checked and as the Churchill dog once said "Oh yes". That explains it - QED and all that.

People at my old company just used to take their stuff to the bigger shredders at work. One that can handle more than one sheet at a time and won't blow up after a yoctosecond.