Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper shredders

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Paper shredders

I got a Fellowes cross shredder, also shreds old credit/ bank card when they expire.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 1

@Marksfish wrote:

also shreds old credit/ bank card when they expire.

I think you'll find that it will also shred them before they exipre. Grin

Highlighted
Champion

@idonno Has oil gone vegan?HuhShocked

@Mook At one place I worked we had a shredder that sometimes shredded ties, a pair of scissors had to be used to extricate the wearer of the tie!!!!Funny

THANK YOU everybody for your suggestions will be replacing mine afer the end of the month and will let you know which one I go forThumbs_Up

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Minivanman has the best paper shredder a wood burner and it's a very high security model

HD

Highlighted
Rising Star

@TTman   The keys to success, IMHO, are:

1. Buy a shredder of office-worthy, beefy quality.  Otherwise you are always likely to have problems with it jamming up and overheating.  We have a Rexel medium-duty home-use shredder, and it suffers exactly  the ills you describe.  I'm about to go and buy a better one, as I'm sick of nursing this one.  The following does help, though:
  2. (a) Keep the cutter teeth regularly lubricated.  Not only does this help keep them free of jams, but it will also keep them sharper for longer. Lubrication sheets which you feed in are terrible value.  I use silicone spray lubricant which comes in a can with a tube that's easy to direct down the paper slot. This avoids spraying grease over the top of the shredder and your floor and decor.  Avoid WD40, because the oil residue that it leaves after the (inflammable) solvent evaporates remains inflammable, whereas silicone grease residue is not, or at least much less so.  The last thing you want is a spark setting off a load of shredder paper with oil on it.  
    (b) Hold on to the spray tube while spraying, in case it is ejected from the spray nozzle on the can.  It is a devil of a job to get the damned thing back out of the shredding slot, and if you are running the machine while lubricating (which I do not recommend, for fire safety reasons), you'll shred the tube!
  3. Avoid buying any shredder that has the cross-cut teeth arranged in a continuous spiral pattern along the cutting cylinder.  This is the problem with our Rexel -- cuttings are driven by it to one end of the cylinder with all the efficiency of an Archimedean screw, and eventually form a tight wad of jammed-up shreddies there and make the motor overheat as it struggles against ever-increasing resistance.  I end up having to pull out the jammed paper from below, usually with pliers, because, by this point, simply selecting reverse and forward again repeatedly won't shift it. In fact, reversing it tends to draw up the projecting jamwad into the zone of death and make it worse.  A better design has two opposing spirals of teeth that drive accumulated cuttings away from the ends and towards the centre, or some other design that is better at just propelling the cuttings straight down.
  4. Empty the bin before the waste gets up to the level of the cutter.  Most machines have a cut-out device to detect and stop a pile-up, but by the point that operates, cuttings may already have started to be dragged back into the cuttingmonster, with predictable results.
  5. If your machine is one (like ours) that lets you place a pile of paper into a hopper for shredding, then if it works like ours, be aware that it will be doubling up the sheets by folding each in the middle, and therefore having to cut two thicknesses of paper at a time, thereby making heavier work for itself, albeit saving time -- till the result is another jam party.  Just limit the number of sheets you try to shred at one time, and remember to re-lube every 30 sheets or so.
  6. Avoid wearing a tie of Donald Trump proportions anywhere in the vicinity.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Attila_The_Pun 

I agree with you about not using WD 40.

Usually use a oil spray, never thought of using silicone spray grease, will give that a go.

Never had a problem with our shredder, got it from office supplies, oddly enough there is no name on the shredder, likely on the box which was thrown out years ago.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

@Attila_The_Pun

... oddly enough there is no name on the shredder, ...

That probably means it's the same as those used by MI5/6; they must do a lot of shredding, or do they still swallow secret notes after memorising the content? 😀

I bought a Texet desktop shredder for about £15 from Robert Dyas many years ago and there were all kinds of warnings about only running it for a minute at time etc. but no mention of lubricating it.  I shredded paper for several minutes at a time with no sign of overheating.  It coped well with bank cards but Sainsbury's Nectar Card was too much for it to handle; it didn't matter how many times I alternated between the forward and reverse setting, the card had damaged something in the mechanism.  So I bought another identical one which is still going strong; I'll use scissors next time I need to dispose of a Nectar Card.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I remember in one of my old companies.

We had a bad boy shredder, don't know how much it cost, but I suspect it cost more than a score (£20) put it that way. Proper company shredder that could handle quite a lot of paper.

We had to be really careful as I worked for a financial company which had people's personal details on them (name, address, etc.). We would get ourselves into a lot of trouble if they were leaked to someone else.

I did the software part that supported the business, managed the accounts and stuff. Front End application with a SQL database. I didn't really get too much involved with paperwork.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@HelloDuck 

That's actually true, although it's only our address along with any personal and private details that torn off go into the woodburner. We did have a shredder when I had my own small business but once retired we gave it away.

Excess to requirements as they say as all it did was gather dust. 

Do many people have them for home use? I'm not so sure.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Fixes: 477

@Alex wrote:

We had a bad boy shredder

Didn't the boys' parents object?

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 82.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Nope they didn't.

As they used to say on the 'Harry Enfield Self Righteous Brothers'

I would say "Oi Mod, Nooooo - we are not talking about any innuendo. We are talking about some device which cuts pappper!".

Then I'll breathe and try and calm down.

Sorry couldn't help myself there 😀