cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper licence

Fixes: 124

Paper licence

Just a reminder that the paper licence will no longer be required from January 1st 2015.
You do not need to take any action, just keep your current photocard driving licence.
If you have an old style paper driving licence issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998, this change won’t affect you, and you should keep your licence.
The next time you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only.
Entitlements, penalty points and the status of your driving licence won’t change.

You can review your current licence details here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Paper licence

Thanks Mav, I've been carrying both the paper and plastic one with me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Hmm my photo one is due for renewal on the 15/1, I will be taking a hires copy of it, as some people have lost additional entitlement when getting a replacement. (things like no bike pass)
This renewal every 10 years is a PITA, £24.50 to get the PO to take your pic and send the lot away. Or £20 if you get someone to scrawl on it saying it is you, although I notice the list of who can do so now is much wider, basically any home owner not living with you.
Community Veteran

If you have a passport, don't they reuse that photo?

[quote=https://www.gov.uk/renew-photo-driving-licence]DVLA will get the photo and signature for your new driving licence from your passport. If this isn’t possible you won’t be able to change your photo online.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: artmo
Thanks Mav, I've been carrying both the paper and plastic one with me.

You don't need to carry a driving licence with you - it might get nicked.

Quote from: Hairy
This renewal every 10 years is a PITA, £24.50 to get the PO to take your pic and send the lot away. Or £20 if you get someone to scrawl on it saying it is you, although I notice the list of who can do so now is much wider, basically any home owner not living with you.
Quote from: Mav
[quote=https://www.gov.uk/renew-photo-driving-licence]DVLA will get the photo and signature for your new driving licence from your passport. If this isn’t possible you won’t be able to change your photo online.

[quote=https://www.gov.uk/renew-photo-driving-licence#other-ways-to-apply]a new passport type photo taken within the last month (don’t sign the back of the photo)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My passport expired 10 years ago  Grin
I haven't been out of the UK for over 20 years now, compared with every few days back then.  Tongue
So my only options are to get some pics taken and then get a mate to sign it, or take it to the PO and get them to do it for £4.50, not sure how much a pic is these days.

According my the second of my links above you don't need it countersigned if just a postal application for the driving licence renewal. I haven't found anything to the contrary - yet Wink
And no need to take it to the PO.

Community Veteran

Didn't need anything countersigned for my last passport renewal either.
As long as the picture looks like your old one and is recognisably the same person appropriately older it's OK.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Being over 65 and still driving PCV's (coaches and buses) I have to renew my licence every year; Medical £120, Photo £10, cost of renewal plus postage (I always use recorded delivery<or whatever its called these days>) but I've got my own scan copies of both licence parts/
The photo only needs to be changed every 4 years, which I find odd as physically I'm at that age where my appearance changes less than at any time in my life.
My passport expires in 2015, our foreign travel days are over now so it won't be renewed, what else would be acceptable does anybody know? 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
According my the second of my links above you don't need it countersigned if just a postal application for the driving licence renewal. I haven't found anything to the contrary - yet Wink
And no need to take it to the PO.

You're right Mav. No need for countersigning on this or a passport.
Just to clarify when I said i carry both paper and plastic with me - I was referring to when I am abroad not in the UK.  Most car hire companies abroard are now aware of the change.

Quote from: artmo
Most car hire companies abroard are now aware of the change.
According to the Daily Mail the software isn't ready yet Sad

Community Veteran

I only have to produce my licence when I hire a car abroad. recently I deliberately presented only the plastic card and it was accepted without question. Smiley
Community Veteran

We hired a car in Italy last year on just the paper Part!  Grin
Geoff,
York.