cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panic buying

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Panic buying

With Grangemouth shutting down it's possible there could be some shortages of petrol in Scotland and the north of England.
But in Sussex?
That hasn't stopped the morons panic buying in this area - I heard this afternoon that Tescos in Crawley was dry.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
69 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Panic buying

Big tanks on those Chelsea Tractors Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

OK - I'll amend my statement:
That hasn't stopped the "mines bigger than yours" morons panic buying in this area
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 47

Does this give the fuel companies the opportunity to slap another 3 or 4 pence on a litre claiming a national shortage Angry
Whatever...I will be calling in Tesco's for my weekly groceries and fortnightly 30 litres tomorrow come what may.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m not going to get any diesel, until I need it, if there isn`t any left, then I consider it a bonus, I won`t have to pay the government any tax! and also my missus will save some of the money she normally spends !  Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
I heard this afternoon that Tescos in Crawley was dry.

Is that panic buying, or just some muppet forgetting to order, the press get hold of and blows up which causes panic buying.
Its not unusual for the filling station nearest to us to be out of either Petrol or Diesel, but it think that is down to small tanks and high demand.
Chilly

What do these 'panic buyers' do.
I usually fill up once a fortnight which takes about 30 litres. If I chose to 'panic' buy' what would I do, put a 56 gallon drum in the boot and fill that up as well.
I find it difficult to understand what constitutes panic buying of a commodity like petrol.
Sugar can be bought by the trolley load and stored as can beans for example but petrol..... Undecided
Community Veteran

The "panic" buyer is someone who normally buys just enough to keep the vehicle running for the week. and then sees a "busy garage forecourt" with all pumps in use. Like minded morons also see this, and think about the "grangemouth" incident, couples this with the "panic buying fever" created by the media, and like lemmings, they all join the queues at the pumps, this in turn makes the queues look like there is some truth in the rumours, and more lemmings join the queue.
Meanwhile, sensible people, like you and me, Strat,  Wink try to be sensible, and keep away, hoping on hope that there is no shortage  Roll eyes
nadger
Rising Star

They did show people, on TV, filling spare cans and putting them in the boot of their cars - must have had a large motor mower  Tongue
I remember being woken by Buncefield going up and subsequently wondering how we'd get on for fuel. I was still working then so diesel was very important to me - don't recall ever struggling to find any.
Overall the fuel distribution system in this country seems fairly robust.

Good point shutter, I hadn't thought about the weekend wanderers. Maybe the ludicrous price at the pump will deter them...hopefully Undecided
Community Veteran

going out shopping taxi driving (!)  Sad  Sad    for the rest of the day...    Cry  Cry  . have a nice day !  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: nadger
They did show people, on TV, filling spare cans and putting them in the boot of their cars - must have had a large motor mower  Tongue
That could have been me (it probably wasn't) as I filled up my car (50 litres) and then a 5 litre petrol can.
Why  Roll eyes
Because these modern cars have anti-syphon tanks so I can't fill the can up for use in the lawnmower and rotavator and I was using a 5p per litre off coupon from Sainsbury's
Loombucket
Grafter

Knickers.  I'm still in Sheffield (posting from my hotel room) and about to embark on a 240-mile drive home.  I've less than a quarter tank and will need to fill up in the first 50 miles or so.
If the stupid gits whose panic-buying caused the shortage prevent me from finding enough to get home today in time to celebrate my 33rd wedding anniversary with the present Mrs Loombucket I shall be seriously issed poff!  (anag)
Angry
jmd
Grafter

Well, at Sainsburys here there was a queue - luckily at present I am all right.  The queue made it dificult to get past to get to the actual supermarket............. so it may have put people off shopping anyway!

The Tesco Fuel in Sheffield I visit once a fortnight has been strangely quite over the past few months, today however it was queueing onto the road.
Quote from: Loombucket
in time to celebrate my 33rd wedding anniversary with the present Mrs Loombucket I shall be seriously issed poff!  (anag)

No more so than the current Mrs Loombucket I would guess. Undecided
Congratulations by the way Smiley