cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain at the pump? - You bet we could be!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Pain at the pump? - You bet we could be!

Hi all
I've been getting incredibly disgruntled lately about the fuel prices and as luck would have it they seem to feel the same way about me too. Every time I go to put in £10.00, I slow the pump right down at £9.80 and let it crawl penny by penny. Despite this the pumps still manage to jump 2p every few pence and I frequently found myself hitting £10.01 and thinking  Shocked
So.. I got myself pretty disgruntled about this.. I complained to numerous staff at the local fuel depot about this, none of whom really gave a rats about it claiming they've never had the problem.
These stores keep doing their silly 1p off per litre.. or 5p off a litre when you spend £stupid in store.. in reality they're still making vast profits. Now while it sounds like a token gesture it really isn't and in fact you're still taking a dent. So.. what does 1p mean to you fuel wise? - Diddly squat I suspect.
Then it dawned on me.. I'll be a pain instead. I'll stop at £9.99 just to be awkward even £9.98 sometimes. Seeing as that minimal amount of fuel won't make much difference I can live with the loss of 1 pence worth of petrol but can the petrol station? Sure enough since I've been doing this I've been getting some very odd disgruntled looks from the staff at the petrol station. I only pay by cash which means they always have to dip their hands in the till and find me some change! I've had them forcefully 'dump' the penny in my hand, give me snotty looks, even try to avoid giving me my receipt!
THIS ONLY WORKS FOR CASH - Not credit/debit cards.
Now, imagine we rolled this out across the nation - the result? A lot of extra change needed by the petrol stations, payment queues slowing down (while the cashier finds and counts your change) and petrol stations up and down the land finding that the customer DOES actually have a voice.
For maximum effect:
To be a further pain to them, go for a really odd amount.. which makes them have to find you at least 4 coins in change. The easiest way to do this is to require them to pay you a high amount of coins. Here is my initial thinking:
Lets say you spend £x.22p.
They've got to find you £0.78p - Thats 50p, 20p, 5p, 2p and 1p at a minimum. There is no combination of coins they can give you that leads to a smaller coin count. Now while this may only take the cashier a few additional seconds to find, it will become a pain for them and their managers.
So, in order to help be even more of a pain here are some more examples you could use. Remember to hand over entire pounds - no small change for maximum effect:
You spendYour change (from a whole £)Coins needed for your change (the more the better)
£x.21£x.7950p, 20p, 5p, 2p, 2p
£x.01£x.9950p, 20p, 20p, 5p, 2p, 2p   <===6 coins
£x.23£x.7750p, 20p, 5p, 2p

For maximum change, use this easy forumla:

• Over 60p

• Second digit between 6 and 9p

Go on, give it a try next time you're at the pump. If you feel it works, spread the idea on to everyone you know. IF this were to go country wide I think we may see the petrol retailers getting the message.
Remember:
Don't leave the till until you've checked your change  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
53 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Pain at the pump? - You bet we could be!

Ah, you should go to Greece! (at least the quieter bits where I go)  Crazy
There you tell them how much petrol/diesel you want (in Euros, at least for now) and they put it in for you. Then you pay. Simples.
Provided the tank will take it you always get at least what you pay for, often a few cents more (*gratis). You're never short-changed.
If you've guessed wrong and it stops filling early they usually charge you to the nearest 50c or even Euro if they're in a good mood!
They don't really like change, just Euro notes or 1€ or 2€ coins if pushed. (and credit cards are not an option)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

if you really want to get back at the fuel companies drive carefully to conserve fuel. When you do finally require fuel go to a garage and buy less than 10 litres. It means more stops at petrol stations but increases their workload at the tills, you also can save fuel because your car is not carrying so much weight.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

Wouldn't you just like to get stuck, at the pumps, behind idiots following the advice given in the OP's post  Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
It means more stops at petrol stations but increases their workload at the tills

and that is exactly what we must achieve.
@nadger: Do you want high petrol prices then? - Do you have a better idea? Otherwise fill up at a quiet time of day. You can't have your cake and eat it when it comes to fuel Nadger, choose your side. Make a point or happily pay the ever rising fuel costs. Your choice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

okrzynska didn't you realise that petrol pumps work like fruit machines in a pub, only in this case the nudge button is hidden under the counter beside the tills? Whenever the staff see you stop on £x.00 they push the nudge.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

More workload @ tills = more staff to serve = higher operating costs = higher petrol prices.
Someones logic chip has broken..... Roll eyes
Fixes: 125

Quote from: jelv
Whenever the staff see you stop on £x.00 they push the nudge.

I think you are absolutely right jelv.
Many a time I've stopped at an exact multiple of £10 and checked it as I walk away only to find by the time I've got to the till it's a penny over. When I look at the pump before getting in the car it also shows a penny over.
I have argued on this a couple of times (principal at stake) but it wasn't really worth the aggro for a penny.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: okrzynska
@nadger: Do you want high petrol prices then? - Do you have a better idea?
Obviously nobody likes ever increasing fuel prices but being disruptive at the pump in your local Tesco, etc  will have little bearing on things.
Most of the price you pay for petrol/diesel is tax and I'm sure that the retailer would actually like to see prices drop.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
More workload @ tills = more staff to serve = higher operating costs = higher petrol prices.
Someones logic chip has broken..... Roll eyes

Higher operating costs = bad at time of economic pressures. Additionally more staff = more hassle (rotas, staff leave, new contracts etc).
It'll be far easier for them just to lower their prices instead.
My logic has gone south?
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Most of the price you pay for petrol/diesel is tax and I'm sure that the retailer would actually like to see prices drop.

Thats just it, how many times have you heard of the retailers not dropping their costs when the last budget held prices? - They still put up the price on most for(c)ecourts anyway.
We have to do something about this NOW! IF we just put up with it like you want to nadger then it'll carry on and people will just moan about it in the future saying "No-one ever does anything about it, look at the french they know how to do it". Something has to be done now, by you, by me, by everyone.
itsme
Grafter

Forecourts have only x number of pumps so going more frequently will not require any more staff it will only generate queues at the pump. In fact the staff probably be happier if this happen as they will have something to do.
Denzil
Grafter

Thing is, though, most fuel retailers make very little money out of it, so it seems to me they are the wrong people to hit. Most filling stations are not owned by the oil companies whose signs appear on them, but are run independently. 75% or so of the cost of fuel is tax, which is down to the government, and most of the rest is down to the oil companies.
Community Veteran

Not our problem though is it Denzil. It's still the forecourts that go out and put that extra 1p in the big road side sign isn't it.
Funny how Morrisons always manage to get the price down when they want to start a price war mso it can be done.
Come on guys, you know this can be done. Either that or according to Denzil I'm going to have to outsmart the government and the oil companies combined.  Besides, now I've mentioned this idea it'll only be a matter of time before someone else stumbles across it and decides to run a large campaign with it. You might as well get on the bandwagon now and be part of it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I like your style.... cos I have been conned with the 01p at the £10 stop.... and I double check the pump before going in to pay. to make sure that it hasn`t jumped since I stopped putting in fuel..
I have had many an argument about it, and stood my ground for the "overcharge"... and won. every time...
however, to "minimise" MY time at the cashier, I make sure I get £9.98 or .£9.99 and pay cash.... so that I get the 1p...
Yes, pennies count.... I look for the cheapest  around, and when driving around (not just for the diesel) but keeping my eye on the prices... will fill up at the cheapest... 45 ltrs at 1p less than somewhere else is 45 p in MY pocket... and I am not incovenienced by doing it.... multiply that up by (say) 26 fillups per year. and you get quite a big saving... so yes... keep an eye on the pennies..

Look after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of themselves.....  Roll eyes