cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paignton school refuses child lunch over £1.75 debt

shalom2010
Grafter

Paignton school refuses child lunch over £1.75 debt

I think this is out of order. The school should have contacted the parent at least to discuss the issue. (Maybe the whole story has not been reported though?!)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-22855011
33 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Paignton school refuses child lunch over £1.75 debt

"A statement released by the school's governors said the rule was introduced to prevent "significant numbers of previous occurrences of late payments and bad debts on school meals".
It went on to say: "Mr and Mrs Lynn were notified on three occasions prior to the mealtime of interest that their debt was due and that their son would not receive a meal if the debt remained unpaid."
It's sad that a child is suffering for the shortcomings of its parents but I am sure that the school has better things to do than keep chasing up bad debts. It is the parents responsibility to ensure the situation does not arise.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shalom2010
The school should have contacted the parent at least to discuss the issue. (Maybe the whole story has not been reported though?!)

Contacted several times according to reports I've read, so yes
whole story has not been reported
and parent is likely a lot more to blame than at first appears and trying to distract and/or blame others for their failings.  Lips are sealed
Still seems very petty though. Would make more sense to give the child food and surcharge the parents, say a £10 admin fee.
shalom2010
Grafter

Looks like my speed reading was too fast Smiley
Community Veteran

I agree with alanf.  It appears the parents were given warnings about this on previous occasions.  I feel sorry for the child but the parents must take full responsibility.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Wrong. The school and the education authority have a duty of care towards that child. The child is not legally responsible for this debt, the parents are and for a lousy £1.75 I am shocked that they would do this.
If the parents didn't feed their kid the social services would be called in. If a state sponsored school does it then it's apparently legal  Shocked
£1.75.. pathetic. While I don't doubt the parents needed to sort this out, it isn't going to put the school in severe hardship is it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The school would have been taken to task if it had unpaid debts on its books which could have affected their spending elsewhere.  We don't know how often this has happened in the past which is a pity.
Community Veteran

They all look pretty stupid. And wasn't the father a governor at that school?  Crazy
As the boy was 11 he was presumably under no obligation to stay in school at lunchtime and could easily have gone out or home (if nearby), so the school's responsibility is maybe rather limited?
Anyway, at that age he's certainly not going to starve by missing one school lunch.  Wink
alanf
Aspiring Pro

And as a governor should he not have been aware of the rules - or did he not think they applied to him? If he didn't like them did he do anything to try to change them?
Unless there are other reasons for dissatisfaction with the school, I think that far more distress is likely to be caused to his children by withdrawing them and perhaps moving them to a new school than one of them going hungry for a few hours.
Parent makes mistake and instead of him just apologising to his son and treating him to a big meal that evening he is appearing in the media making the issue someone else's fault.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
The school would have been taken to task if it had unpaid debts on its books which could have affected their spending elsewhere.  We don't know how often this has happened in the past which is a pity.

I see your point but it's £1.75 - you can't even use the small claims process for that amount (or at least you couldn't years ago - that might of changed by now).
Quote from: HPsauce
As the boy was 11 he was presumably under no obligation to stay in school at lunchtime

When I was at school at that age none of us were allowed off the site.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Daddy likes a campaign!
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Torquay-bingo-fans-oppose-plan-close-car-park/story-17939640-detail/sto...
With his business experience would he allow his customers to pay him later?
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/gary-lynn/15/1b0/2a2
Community Veteran

Quote from: shalom2010
Looks like my speed reading was too fast Smiley

Also to blame for speed reading to fast ..... read title as  £1.75m, and thought 'crikey school dinners are expensive now' Embarrassed Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite

I see your point but it's £1.75 - you can't even use the small claims process for that amount (or at least you couldn't years ago - that might of changed by now).
When I was at school at that age none of us were allowed off the site.

Who mentioned the Small Claims Court Undecided The school appears to have done everything right in this case.  The fault is clearly with the parents.
Fixes: 125

Irrespective of the rules the child should not have been refused a meal in such circumstances especially in front of his peers.
I think the school should have written to his parents after the previous contacts to inform them that he would be refused a school dinner and that a packed lunch would be more appropriate until the debt has been paid (maybe that was done and not reported Undecided).
But why take both children out of the school? Very OTT.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Don't punish the child for the shortcomings of the parent.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.