cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVRs again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

PVRs again

Having looked inside my Humax PVR it looks like a very simple matter to change the hard drive. The present one is a seagate 160.
If I replace the drive with a bigger drive  is it just a simple swop (ensuring the jump leads are set correctly) or is there more to it than this ?
Will there be some software currently on the existing drive that I need or is the software stored in some chip(s) ?
Yes I know you will be thinking try it and see but I don't want to stump up for another Hard drive only to find it doesn't work so if there is anyone out there who has done this perhaps you could advise me further.
One last point, many drives are sata now.  should I steer clear of these or are there connectors that would allow me to switch from sata to connect to ide or is there no advantage in doing this.
No sure if this is the correct forum for this topic but it doesn't really come under computers or internet
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: PVRs again

This http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/196130-hard-disk-drive-upgrade.html might help.
You will need to check whether the existing disc is IDE or SATA and get a replacement with the same interface.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: PVRs again

MisterW,
Thanks for that just what I was looking for !