cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVRs after change to digital

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

PVRs after change to digital

As most people know the analogue TV signal will be switched off at some point for everyone in the UK. I Live in Granada land (Winter Hill transmitter) where the change over has already taken place. From what I can gather there have been few problems in retuning TVs  but many people have had major problems with Personal Video Recorders in that they either fail to record or freeze up.
Digital spy and other sites are full of complaints from users of certain makes and models so if you have trouble during the switch from analogue to digital and have problems with your PVR you are far from alone.
The various sites have a whole range of ideas that you can try but in most cases these appear to work for a short period only.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: PVRs after change to digital

Without digging - is this the split nit problem which knackered my, and a few other, set top boxes last year or is it something different
Community Veteran

Not sure about that oldjim.
Their are a number of theories as to why the PVRs have been playing up, the main one seems to be that the software needs updating to cope with the changes and I understand they have been playing around with this for some time. I Know little about software that runs PVRs but if it is similar to set top boxes that could explain it.
One main issue is that manufacturers argue that these items worked prior to the switch over so it's a problem for the broadcasters, in turn the broadcasters say it's nothing to do with them the software (or perhaps hardware as some posts suggest the processor is not fast enough to cope with the data) is not working.
In short a catch 22 situation.
It's really annoying that no mention has been made in the press or on TV about these problems other than to say contact the helpline.... when you do they say contact the manufacturers and when you contact them.... you are told the item worked prior to the changeover so it's not down to them.
If they made London as the first area for change over instead of Cumbria and then Lancashire I guess there would have been such a massive number of complaints the problems would have been resolved or at least delayed before other areas changed over.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one of the problems in your area Gleneagles with  the tuning is the Channels that carry the signal, the Welsh channels are on a mid channel and get picked up  and allocated before your local channels are reached, the answer I have seen is to stop it loading untill the tuner is past those welsh ones.  Unfortunately ~I cant find the Article which was I think by Barry Fox
Yes Jim, several reputable older boxes failed to load the new shifted channels at the end of last year
A lot of PVR's are programmed in Linux, some can be reprogrammed, see this months What Satellite & Digital TV mag (Futue publications)
johpal
Grafter

Not sure why, but my Humax PVR froze yesterday; no response to "power recycling" (on / off at mains switch). The last channel watched (BBC2) was  all that showed on screen, with the frozen image. Neither the remote, nor the front buttons produced a response. I'm on Emley Moor transmitter, not scheduled to switch to digital until 2011 (but already transmitting Freeview HD at 4 kW power).
A search on the internet revealed my problem is common and unrelated to the digital switchover, but the technique may work for other systems.
1. Unplug the aerial and switch off the mains power.
2. Restart the system and select the setup menu.
3. Reset the system to the factory defaults (my system retained the current software version).
4. Re-connect the aerial and retune the system.
5. Reset you preferences.
Bit of a fash, but saved the cost of a new PVR.  I'm also champing at the bit to replace my ageing TV/PVR and tune in to that Freeview HD signal!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

re your HD
retyped quote
Existing SD Freview uses DVB-T with either 16QAM or 64QAM and MPEG2 compression to get between 18 and 24 Mb/s per multiplex channel.  DVB-T2 uses 256QAM to get 40 Mb/s and with MPEG-4 compression, this allows up to four HD programes /end quote
Emly Moor uses 4kW for HD T2 instead of 10kW for SD  so you have to get a receiver that tunes T and T2 and are not yet available
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Oh yes they are
http://www.richersounds.com/product/freeview-freesat-pvr/humax/hd-fox-t2/huma-hd-fox-t2
If you have more money than sense  Cheesy Cheesy
Product Information
After many years, this is what TV fans have been waiting for! The Humax HD-Fox T2 gives you free access to BBC and ITV HD channels and lets you keep your existing Freeview aerial.
With free access to High Definition channels, the Humax HD-Fox T2 is the perfect partner for your HD TV. In addition to HD channels from the BBC and ITV, the HD-Fox T2 will still receive the usual standard Freeview TV and radio services, meaning you don't miss out on your existing channels. As you'd expect, there's an 8-day onscreen guide and interactive TV service via MHEG.
jmd
Grafter

Well my PVR is working fine at present - but when it gives up will go for the Freesat version as have dish on wall not being used!  Richer is good pricve too.
johpal
Grafter

@pierre-pierre
Yes, I am aware of the need for a  DVB-T2 tuner and the lack of hardware, that is why I'm champing at the bit! Take a look at this video; certainly whetting my appetite and available in the UK in March/April.
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2010/02/26/video-which-takes-a-look-at-the-samsung-c7000-led-tv/
Already available in the US for (only!) $2599.99
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46C7000-46-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0036WT4EC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=elect...
At the usual exchange rates for such devices, I'm guessing that will equate to £2599.99.  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes not bad, still got my Chan 4 glasses so could watch the 3d bits with those, most impressive on my 1080p PC monitor, full screen Grin Grin
Community Veteran

johpal,
My PVR is also a Humax... the suggested fix does work for a period but i think you will find the problems gradually return.
Using a freesat setup would restrict what I can currently do, that is to record 2 channels whilst watching a third. Using a freesat setup would not allow me this option unless someone can advise me otherwise.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have the Humax HD freesat PVR.  yes you can record two and watch a third, providing the third is on the same transponder as one of the ones you are recording.  You can also watch a previous record while recording two others
Community Veteran

Pierre-Pierre,
Thanks for that..........Can you just clarify it a bit more for me.
If I am watching BBC 1 with a digital TV... using a freesat set up  could I also be recording  say ITV 2  and BBC 3 at the same time ?
Thanks
Any additional info you have about recommended equipment & costs would also be helpful !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just found this new one  http://www.technomate.com/viewproduct2.php?product=83  three tuners 1 freeview terrestrial, two freesat can record to all three at same time, not looked up cost yest
BBC1 ITV1 BBC3 could all be on separate transponders, depends on which region you are in.  Out of interest I an in the anglia region but watch Country music on BBC Alba - Scotland you can watch any region you want, just have to know the code
for full list of transponders see here, two tuners, only get any two transponders  http://www.astra2d.com/frequencies2d.html
edit  Fresat channel nos http://www.astra2d.com/freesatepg1.html
jmd
Grafter

You would not be able t use your present PVR with a Freesat TV.  But you can get a Humax Freesat PVR which provided you have 2 cables from Dish will let you record 2 and watch one on your present TV.  The cost of Freesat PVR is about £250, and then you have to get a Dish fixed.  I have a Dish but would need a extra cable so would probably end up with a new dish as apparently it could work out cheaper.  I have investigated this and decided that as presently I cannot afford it will have wait until the Freeview Humax PVR I have dies or somebody gives me a lot of money!! Roll eyes