cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA test for Prostate Cancer

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

PSA test for Prostate Cancer

Any male over 50 should have this test. It could be a lifesaver....

PSA Test...PSA Test...

14 REPLIES 14
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: PSA test for Prostate Cancer

In know when I was tested some time back the doctor on a subsequent visit to the hospital was surprised I remembered his name. "Well yes" I said, "and so would you if somebody had stuck their finger up your bum for the first time". 

Gave him a laugh anyway... and he gave me a prescription. 😆

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

My GP was reluctant to do a test a few years back as I was only 50 and my close family didn't have any history. they relented though and mine was high (not excessively) which lead to another, then an examination, then another test, then an MRI, then a biopsy, which was clear. 6 monthly PSA tests at the hospital which still stayed high, so another MRI and biopsy in Feb this year. All clear again, but back on 6 monthly watch list.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Just one of those things that the male has to contend with. Read some time back that 95% of autopsies done on males found that all had signs of prostrate cancer. Not saying don't get checked far from it as none of us want to go before our time... but just saying. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

One of my friends dad has it. I haven't spoken to him for around a year, should really ask how things are. Just don't want to ask if there is any bad news (I am thinking the worst here).

No excuse though really. I'll drop him a text.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

95% of autopsies done on males found that all had signs of prostrate cancer.

Urologists say that all men will get prostate cancer if they live long enough.

At the beginning of the last century British men could expect to live to the age of 47.  It may well be that the incidence of prostate cancer hasn't increased, just that more men are living long enough to develop it.  This begs the question:  What horrors await today's babies who are predicted to reach the age of 120 in large numbers?

madswitcher
Rising Star

Er guys,

don't speak too loudly: the female of the human species have more than their fair share of 'intimate' examinations 🤐

Mike

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@madswitcher wrote:

...the female of the human species have more than their fair share of 'intimate' examinations 🤐

But they don't involve someone going the wrong way up a one-way street!  Wink

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Thanks @RobPN, I was struggling for an answer that would not get me banned! 😃

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Fortunately it gets more attention now than in the past.

At one time a biopsy was taken around 10 times and it was a gamble whether or not the ones taken showed any cancerous cells, these days everyone is given (or should be given) a MRI scan so they can identify any unusual cell changes and be more accurate where the biopsy is taken from.

As the consultant said to me, the obtaining of a sample is not as painful as it was in the past but more embarrassing......

When I asked why he said they now put your legs in stirrups, so anyone with children will know how the wife felt...

Too much information, yes I know, but at least you know what to expect.

😀

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Entering post Covid as I hope we are, how long though before hospitals catch up with a now even longer waiting list in order to get that PSA test done. Even getting a doctors appointment these days is hard work and I don't know if it's true, but my neighbor tells me (his Mrs is a nurse) that there is now a four year waiting list for an appointment with the audiology department at our nearest hospital. 

In the meantime I guess I'll just have to keeping taking the tablets... and wishing I had an upstairs loo. 😆

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 6

I recently had a colonoscopy as a follow up to an operation four years ago.

Under the current circumstances I just couldn’t understand why this was considered important.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

There is a big difference in waiting times for various medical procedures across the country, both myself and my wife have had several day patient procedures in less than a couple of months from the initial GP referral, indeed it been better during the corvid outbreak as you are in and out as quickly as possible rather than sitting in a waiting room for ages, all follow up has been done by telephone which we found better.

I count ourselves lucky compared to some other areas where patients are waiting months or even years for tests or treatments.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Rather like Covid there is a basic difference between dieing With and dieing From. 200 men a week die From so it is well worth getting checked out.

Do not necessarily accept a surgical removal. There are other practical cures that work. Brachytherapy injects radioactive seeds into the prostate gland and that can fix it in one go.  The only downside is that if you get run over by a bus within six months you have to be disposed of at Sellafield as hazardouse waste! 

Ten years later my PSA is near zero. Very grateful to The Christie Hospital Manchester.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@TeeGee 

I guess much depends on the extent of the cancer, if it’s widespread then removal may be the only option but I agree that every other option should be explored before surgical removal.

The key thing is finding and treating it before it gets too extensive but sadly many men do not seem to have as much concern regarding their health as women do.

The sooner anything is discovered and treated the better but the message does not always get through to some.

PSA is not all that reliable as some with levels within accepted ranges have later discovered they have cancer.

I understand a more accurate test is or soon will be available from a specimen of blood.