POLL: Should our police officers be armed

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi All
Just seen this:

Do you think that all police officers in the UK should be armed?
Read More here

Absolutely not
43 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Re: POLL: Should our police officers be armed

Firearms officers are highly trained and screened yet have made some unfortunate mistakes. However, armed police need to be available to deal with life-threatening situations.
Other bobbies have proved themselves to be trigger happy with tasers which can prove fatal (e.g. zapping a blind man in the back because they could not tell a white stick from a sword). I dread to think what would happen if they were all let loose with guns.
Community Veteran

Gary, were you going to put a poll on here.
My view is we should increase the numbers of Police that are armed in our special response units but we should not arm the bobby in the street.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
------ the bobby in the street.

Grin Grin Grin
nadger
Rising Star

I don't think the ordinary plod should be armed but that there should be an increase in number of armed response units.
I'm from the generation who were taught how to correctly handle firearms and I also had a firearms certificate, for several years, for my competition rifle.
Community Veteran

So the police can shoot blind men instead of tasering them?
Not only that, it will ultimately just put more guns in circulation.
The ordinary police don't need guns any more than they needs cars.
Without a presence on the street the police are becoming no more than camera watching office workers.

Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: artmo
------ the bobby in the street.

Grin Grin Grin

Yes, sorry but I think you know what I mean Smiley Smiley

Quote from: billnotben

Without a presence on the street the police are becoming no more than camera watching office workers.

Whilst seeing a policeman walking a beat may give you a warm feeling it is actually very inefficient and a waste of stretched police resources. Much better they are employed dealing with crime and crime prevention.
Fixes: 47

In response to the question - absolutely not.
There is a clear need however to maintain or strengthen armed response units across the country.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not at the moment but I can see a time when they will need to be armed.
It would be interesting to know how many countries in the EU allow all police officers to carry arms and the views of citizens in those countries about the police carrying arms.
Also worth remembering the 2 police women who went to someones house and he shot them both, if they were armed one might still be alive.
Of course there will be unfortunate incidents but if you look at cases, of which there have been several in recent times, the Police involved have been subject to an intensive enquiry with at least one case going before a court. The Police are subject to the same laws as the rest of us and be aware of what charges they face if they shoot an innocent person
Community Veteran

no.
nanotm
Pro

they are already armed with non lethal options and have increased the number of those options in recent years, in other countries such as the USA their police have the same options and also carry a gun, whenever you see American police respond to any incident they go straight for the gun and ignore the other options increasing the number of lethal encounters way above that necessary were they to have one go for the non lethal option in multi unit responses (obviously not safe to do so in single officer responses), what we do not want is to arm our police (bearing in mind the population don't have access to guns) because the second we do we cannot go back, we have an option to fill the streets with armed personal with the aid to the civil powers act, we can mobilise thousands of  people to provide the protection for the short term period required and we must resist the temptation of putting innocents in danger by arming a state governed police force against an unarmed population, down that road leads the path of the communist dictator and whilst it may appeal to some its not something anyone should enter into lightly
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: nanotm
... whenever you see American police respond to any incident they go straight for the gun ....

And they do that because they don't want to be the victim of a gun toting meth head. At least here in the UK that chances of encountering a felon with a gun is, for the moment, negligible. But in the US with guns so prevalent the odds are against the police, and if I were in the same position I too would pull out my gun, if only for selfish self preservation.
nanotm
Pro

They do it regardless of who they are facing, I don't fault them for that it's nature to want to survive and meet aggression with overwhelming force.
There is a big difference though between a population armed against a state that is also armed, and an unarmed population against an armed state, the yanks have guns on both sides we have no guns on both sides, we cannot legitimately arm one side without also arming the other side to the same or greater degree and still claim to be a democracy,tony Blair knew this and he stole our rights from us after his agents engineered situations that made the uneducated small thinking masses begged for it, next we see them begging to arm the state to complete the cycle and leave us the citizens as victims unable through sheer numbers to remain the overwhelming force that keeps the country honest....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19641398
All major police forces in Europe, as well as the US, Canada and Australia routinely carry firearms, says Prof Peter Waddington. The exceptions are Britain, the Irish Republic, and New Zealand. In Norway officers carry arms in their cars but not on their person, he says.
Also http://www.csmonitor.com/World/2015/0628/Why-police-don-t-pull-guns-in-many-countries is most informative and interesting
nanotm
Pro

Yeah and which countries don't allow the  ordinary citizens to own guns.....