Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC world , Rip off

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

PC world , Rip off

retailer Currys PC World has been criticised by Which? for "ripping off customers". Consumer magazine Which? has been listening to consumer complaints about extra fees attached to buying laptops since January 2015. Specifically, customers of Currys PC World have complained that they could only buy pre-setup laptops, so they had to pay more than the ticket price. This pre-setup 'Knowhow' service includes a bootable recovery USB stick but has a fee of £40 attached to it. Sad

if you have been charged this £40 fee you should be able to get it refunded Thumbs Up

http://hexus.net/business/news/retailers/116297-currys-pc-world-criticised-laptop-setup-fees-rip-off...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: PC world , Rip off

Not the first time they've ripped customers off, back when they were separate companies, Curries demanded you pay for installation of new FreeSat boxes, even if you already had a dish and all you had to do was unplug the dish from a defunct sky box and plug it into the FreeSat box, if you refused the installation, they refused to sell, which was very much a form of extortion...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

No doubt: "Lessons will be learned..."

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@AlaricAdair  Yes Untill next time Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

and how about the "printer cable"..... ( the one with the old square printer connection)  a couple of years ago, ( and probably still the same or more now )... pc world and currys were selling them at about £11.00   at the same time the pound shops were selling them for    (unsurprisingly)   £1.00.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

I wonder how much they charge for an HDMI cable?
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Fixes: 84

I bought an LCD TV from Currys and the salesman insisted that I needed a good quality HDMI cable (£70).

He explained that a cheaper poor quality cable would seriously degrade the picture on my TV and I wouldn't be getting the best from it.

Needless to say I left the shop with my TV less the HDMI cable.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran

The small size of the HDMI plug makes it much more difficult to hand carve, hence the greater expense. They also use a higher quality isotope of copper (Cu 34 rather than Cu 36) in the HMDI cables and the wires are extruded rather than drawn. This lets the electrons flow more easily thus improving the sound quality.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

And the outer sheathing is made from Vantablack which absorbs more external radiation thus ensuring a cleaner signal internally.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran

And if you believe all that, you're a bigger mug than what I put my coffee in... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

I do think there is merit in paying a few extra pounds for a higher quality cable. I remember years ago a friend of mine who relied on subtitling was amazed at the visibly obvious difference in the caption quality when I lent him my Monster Scart Lead.

And in proof of pudding mode, swapping the Monster cable back to the original it was screamingly obvious that it genuinely did make a difference.

Community Veteran

With Analogue signals a decent cable makes a difference, with Digital signals, the receiving device hardware is looking for a signal to be On or Off over a certain voltage and current threshold, anything inbetween is ignored, so a cheap Poundland HDMI cable will perform as well as a Currys £70 HDMI cable, heck, I use a set of HDMI cables I got from Banggood, and for the past 3 years they've worked perfectly... Smiley

@twocvbloke wrote:

And if you believe all that, you're a bigger mug than what I put my coffee in... Funny

Yeah but it all sounded good and lots of poor folk off the street would be are taken in by it.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

It's been the way of the world since folks started to trade and where one is source and the other is a consumer and how to bamboozle them.

In my day (and maybe it still is) it was selling customers that unneeded £30 yearly guarantee for a brand new television they had just bought. So who's the mug here, the one buying or the one selling? Some folks just beg to be conned. 

None so blind as those that refuse to see.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I can't see the news a being a massive surprise, though I have used PC World in the past.

As for paying for people to set up my e-mail, I wouldn't trust people I don't know with my passwords.
They may be fine and legit - but I always think of the people who are not.