Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC sales see 'longest decline' in history

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

PC sales see 'longest decline' in history

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23251285
We just bought a 'new' PC at work - a 'Refurbished' HP Core 2 Duo that cost little more than the included Windows 7 Professional and should be perfectly 'adequate for purpose', though we did also buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse for it.  Seems little point in spending many hundreds for on a PC for email and other basic office functions so we have also installed Libre Office and Thunderbird instead of throwing money at Microsoft Office.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: PC sales see 'longest decline' in history

You still can't beat a full size keyboard and mouse though can you?!
Sure tablets might be great for browsing but not for doing anything practical (other than walking round without the wires lol)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

For office use I think a proper keyboard, mouse and monitor are essential.
Odd, a few years ago we used 14 & 15" CRT monitors in offices (I even remember 12" being used and that's without going back to 'monochrome' days) - 17" monitors were only used by those who 'needed' a big screen, then 17" became pretty standard - then we went to LCD panels and some reverted to 15" for a while (though close to the effective size of a 17" CRT), then it wasn't long before 19" LCD became quite normal, nowadays a 22" widescreen LCD is deemed 'basic' - the largest tablets can't begin to compete with that.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I suspect that part of the reason is that a computer which is 5 years old can still run all the modern programs without problems so why upgrade.
Even the hard drives at that time were far bigger than most basic users needed
Looking back to my better half's computer which I built in 2006 (7 years old) the only thing it has needed was more RAM (I was mean and only put 1GB in) and a bigger hard drive (she is storing an enormous number of photos on it and 200GB was getting squeezed with the backups from my PC as well) and it is still working fine
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah I agree OJ. I still got machines here that must be 10 years old but will still run well with XP with less than 1GB  Crazy Ok they're a bit on the noisy side but they're still more than capable of running as file /web servers in a cupboard or attic etc. The only limitation is the date issue on 32 bit systems. To be honest even now without the software and media (mp3's / videos / etc) I'd still struggle to fill a 40GB drive.
Years ago before the Pentium 3 days if you bought a computer it was obsolete by the next year but these days it's not the case. You can buy one and while there will no doubt be newer better models available the machine you have will still be good for a decade. I've still got a Pentium 3 at 733MHz ready and waiting to be used for a ICS host when I can find a way of making it quieter lol (no I stand corrected I just remembered I have second one).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

For the last ten years or so I've upgraded my PC every two or three years until I started fresh just over a year ago all to meet the ever growing demands of video editing.
My current machine will now suffice for quite a few years as long as I look after it. I could get an 8 core CPU but there wouldn't be much gained speed-wise for my usage. I could add another 16GB to make 32 but I rarely use all 16 now.
My monitor is a 26" Iiyama 16:10 ratio which is around 5/6 years old and going strong. The only purchase I may make in the next year or so could be more hard drive space currently 2.5TB free from 13TB.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still