cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAH! faulty switch

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

PAH! faulty switch

Been having issues with my broadband all day. Thought it stemmed from the failed upgrade on the router.
Disconnected everything, did a speed test - 0.51Mb down HMM was 72Mb yesterday  Cry
Tried logging in to PN took ages - called help line - 15min delay - ok start filling in on line fault - get cs and we raise a fault.
Decided to look further.
Ping router 80% drop out from this pc. Fine from another - only difference is this has a gigabit connection shows fine on switch - reboot switch same problem.
Ping router from pc2 no problems hmmmm.
Speed test on pc2 38Mb hmmm.
Connect direct to router no packet loss
Speedtest 75Mb  Cheesy
Conclusion faulty switch.
It has been working fine for a few years must just have decided it wanted to retire, works fine @100Mb though  Lips are sealed
So a quick google and Amazon have a netgear 8 port Gig at a good price.
So now to try reflashing the router it failed 4 times this morning not holding much hope on it though.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: PAH! faulty switch

Friction from the data packets pouring through the device erodes the wiring leading to leakage of data fragments. You may find a bolt head hidden underneath your switch, if you tighten this anticlockwise with a torque of no more than 12 KiloNewtons using a 3/4" Whitworth ring spanner it may resolve the problem. Alternatively buy an anti data leakage aerosol spray from the ICO and spray the circuit board inside the device.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
mattturner
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Friction from the data packets pouring through the device erodes the wiring leading to leakage of data fragments.

Thicker wires are the solution to this problem
kmilburn
Grafter

Is that following the same pricipal of replacing a fuse with a bolt because it keeps blowing too often?  Wink
Fixes: 47

A bolt....that's very technical. I usually find a nail suffices.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Ahh but what kind of nail, steel, SS, copper, galvanized  Wink
PITA though, but a warning to others check everything even when the obvious looks at fault - in my case the router since I had just failed to update the f/w,
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Just ask Matt about his microfilters.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If you open the case of the faulty switch you'll probably find all the dropped packets lying there below the defective port, just pour them (carefully) back in where they belong and put some insulating tape around the port to prevent further leakage.
It would likely be OK at 100Mbit because that data obviously rate runs at a much lower pressure than Gigabit.
[Edit] Sorry, forgot to say, when pouring the dropped packets back in, it is definitely advisable to ensure that they go in header-end first (but I imagine you knew that already).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Before putting the switch back together with the insulating tape, I would be inclined to hoover out any wrapping papers from the packets... and also you might find one or two "bits" that have broken off, could also cause the switch to "stick" or not operate properly.
prichardson
Grafter

If it can't be fixed with gaffer tape, you are not using enough tape.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

if you are restoring the "hoovered" packets, be sure to use a packet filter to remove the packets damaged  and written off as the result of collisions.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.