cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oxygene

jmd
Grafter

Oxygene

Have just been reading on bbc site about Oxygene 1 been revived and that it is been performed at various venues.  It said is first recorded 1976 - had not realised it was that long ago.  I thought it was amazing when it was first issued - bought it and kept playing it!
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Oxygene

God I remember that.
Amazing stuff.
I was interested to read
The original album was actually recorded in a converted kitchen at his flat
So Kitchen music preceded Garage music. That'll pee off the younger generation Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

eek!
I was actually listening to it as I read this thread. Scary  Shocked
I've always liked electronic music and this Album was and still is one of the best.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

O.K. going into my archives....... I find a nice round black disc about 12 inches in diameter, by somebody called Mike Oldfield..... It has a label which says " Tubular Bells"  ....  If I my memory serves me correctly, he played ALL the instruments on alll the tracks on that L.P.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

There was a series of programs on BBC 4 about two weeks ago on Irish music, they mainly featured the Chieftains http://www.thechieftains.com/meetthechieftains/default.asp one of their muscians Dave Ball played a large number of instruments, in one multi shot he was seated in a circle playing all his repertoire at the same time, looked an impressive shot.
Derek is best known for his talents on the harp, but he was an accomplished musician on the oboe, horn, cor anglais, hammered dulcimer and keyboards. His talents on the oboe and keyboards were integrated into the sounds of the Chieftains. His talents on the hammered dulcimer has lead to the recreation of the ancient irish instrument known as the tiompan. Besides recording with The Chieftains, Derek recorded six solo albums, five on harp and one on piano. Derek also played the oboe, harpsichord, mediaeval harp, Kurzweil synthesizer, organ, piano, and keyboard.
Derek lived in Belfast with his wife Stephanie and his many much loved cats, until October 2002 when he sadly passed away.