Did you mean: 

Oxford-Astra Zeneca

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Re: Oxford-Astra Zeneca

@Champnet wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

We see some good examples of this on sections of this forum where people with no knowledge are imparting advice to others who ask for help rather that leaving it to those who clearly know what they are talking about.

That's a very condescending comment....

The comment is either true or false, you are free to agree or disagree with it.

@RobPN 

Thank for the links to some examples, I am sure there are others.

😀

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

Well having worked closely with doctors during and before my time as a (mature) research student I can assure you that they do 'wing it' and I still have my notes and my recorded interviews with them that formed part of my Masters in health care management. Not doing medics down, but they are human like the rest of us and not the Gods many think they are or want them to be.

We have all winged it, and many of us have had to go on those courses over the years which was one of the prime reasons I got out of the television game as it expanded beyond all my expectations and I will admit, my abilities. 

Hand on heart, have we not all given out the odd bit of bullpoop?

"Big job this guv, looks like your audible two way wobbulator needs replacing"

I tell you. A pair of overalls, a tie, or a white coat and you can get away with murder. Well almost. 😆

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

I tell you. A pair of overalls, a tie, or a white coat and you can get away with murder. Well almost. 😆

You forgot the classic one. At one point in a certain job, if I ever got fed up or bored all I had to do was pick up a clipboard and I could wander around all day doing nothing.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@billnotben wrote: if I ever got fed up or bored all I had to do was pick up a clipboard and I could wander around all day doing nothing.

Very true and I still do it now! No one ever asks what I'm using it for.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

I fully accept your last statement that someone with overalls, white coat, clip board or whatever can get away with almost anything.

As for medical staff well it would be impossible for them to know everything but in the case of the GP he either knows what the problem is or how to treat it or he does not, I expect the majority of things he deals with is every day stuff in which he can dispense pills or advice, most GP have a range of staff working for them or have access to nurses, health visitors, district nurses etc and on a wider scale referrals to hospital consultants so the point I am getting at is if they do not know something why risk a enquiry that could get them removed from the medical register by winging it ?......

I accept that time constraints may in some cases have led to errors being made but I wonder if claims of winging it are more about ‘Banter’ that takes place in many professions rather than actual reality.?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@billnotben wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

You forgot the classic one. At one point in a certain job, if I ever got fed up or bored all I had to do was pick up a clipboard and I could wander around all day doing nothing.

Back in the deep past it was a piece of paper in National Service. 

I've been friends with two experienced doctors and both have used phrases like 'where by the grace of God' and 'by the seat of my pants'. I had trust in them. No one, even of the highest caliber can know all all the time; the most sensible know whre to look.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

"Most GP have a range of staff working for them or have access to nurses, health visitors, district nurses etc and on a wider scale referrals to hospital consultants"

Exactly that, in fact one one doctor the wife use to see would readily admit he knew much less about many of the medicines he prescribed and would more often than not phone up the local pharmacist for advice. He knew his limits as of course we all should but my point is that many of us do not. 

Even if we think of suspect the medical profession has made a mistake, it takes a brave person to challenge a profession. Fortunately for us there are very few Dr Harold Shipmans or Nurse Beverly Allitts out there. 

Not just the medics either. I once had cause to challenge a solicitor who I thought was taking far to long to complete on a house sale - as indeed he was. He was most put out that I would even dare suggest such a thing saying "do I take that as some sort of criticism?"  Being a young man at the time and unsure of myself I backed down but in retrospect I was right, and he was both a bully and useless. 

We live and learn eh. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

Interesting your comment about a Doctor phoning the pharmacy regarding information about some Drugs.

At one time every Doctor was issued with a copy of MIMS which lists every drug a GP can prescribe and in addition to the cost includes side effects, contraindications  what the drug is used for, manufactures names etc....could be the pharmacist used it to advise the doctor ?😀

I accept Doctors are like the rest of us and range from those who get great satisfaction from their work and strive to provide the best possible care to patients whilst others may have become disillusioned with the job for a range of reasons and simply offer what they consider to be a reasonable service.

I accept some take chances or misdiagnose but the outcome can be serious.

You mentioned solicitors, your experience mirrors mine and the few times I have used them for simple transactions it was anything but simple.

😀

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I remembers MIMS, my mother always used to have a copy.

I wonder if they still do them.

Interesting point though... I'm now left wondering if it was because they did not have a Welsh language version! 

HelloDuck
Pro

Just asked my daughter it's all online now because it's kept up to date

She uses BNF and BNFC

HD

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, the MIMS still exists but the website states at the top and bottom that it is intended for healthcare professionals.  It used to carry a lot of drug advertising, my favourite being one for a brand of Lithium Carbonate hailed as "the spirit leveller".

The BNF (British National Formulary) is far superior and doesn't carry advertisements.  Young doctors used to carry a copy in the pocket of their white coats (those were the days), now I suppose they just nip over to the computer and get it on line.

Edit:  @HelloDuck beat me to it by 18 minutes, that'll teach me to go and make a cuppa. 😀

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

The over 70s being asked to socially distance after their jabs.... 😀

EuBurwWXEAE3G92.jpg

Off for mine this afternoon. 👍

billnotben
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Off for mine this afternoon. 👍

Same here. And I'm pleased it's just my local surgery half a mile away.

My older brother had to go twenty miles or so and his neighbour, in her late eighties, had to find someone to give her a lift to go over forty miles.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

That's really not on and makes a mockery of trying to stay local.

Got to be done, but still. 

Mine is about three miles away so not bad especially in the car as going by bus would be a round trip of at least two hours because of the timetable... and in this freezing weather. There again I might have been able to book one of those £10 GP home visits!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 173

Wife and I had our first dose of the AZ vaccine last Friday. We're only 67 but got a text on the Thurs with a link to book at the vaccination centre in the local Town Hall. Got an appt for the next day, whereas we weren't really expecting to get the jab until end of Feb / early March. Don't know whether its lack of take-up by the over 70's in our area or just the local surgeries being efficient...