Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oxford-Astra Zeneca

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Oxford-Astra Zeneca

Yes it is silly.

People make the false misguided assumption that illness (in general) and it being serious only affects a certain demographic of people. In some cases, but not all.

I saw some photos of people who sadly lost their lives, from the news.

Sadly this virus does not discriminate against age, but policitians are hardly renowned for their intelligence are they?

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@Minivanman wrote:

For those that follow such things as the current kerfuffle with Ursula Von Der Leyden, the EU and the attempted hijacking of this vaccine, on checking, the German word for 'oversight' is Aufshicht. 

😂

But on the plus side she has managed to do something no other person has been able to do or is likely to do in the future....

She has united the DUP, Sinn Fein, the Taoiseach, UK, and many others who all agree the decision was wrong, some have used other words, but these are banned on this forum.

By taking that action and with out consulting all the other members she has acted like a dictator, pity she was not as quick in ordering those vaccines on behalf of the EU.

A look at her past history in politics can hardly be classed as a success.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:

That's one thing that "amuses" me about the BBC news pages.

News that makes us look bad - comments allowed

News that makes the EU look bad - no comments allowed

Fully agree with you there, one presenter in particular who seems to take a delight in being critical of the government, hopefully changes at the top of the BBC with see a end to this left wing bias.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Remember all that fuss when the Russians said they were bringing out a vaccine? Rushed, couldn't be any good etc. Seems its up there near the top for effectiveness after all. Who would have thought that......

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hopefully they will find it effective without any nasty side effects. As they have missed out some of the usual safety checks in the rush to get it out.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm worried that it might give the patient the urge to fly around the world making bleeping sounds.

HelloDuck
Pro

If anyone with diabetes type 1 or 2 who has had the jab  or is about to have it beware that their blood sugar levels can go up so don't worry 

Vaccines and blood sugar levels

Taking the vaccine may make your blood sugar levels go up.

When you get the vaccine, your body will start to produce what’s called an immune response. This is nothing to worry about. Your body is just reacting to the vaccine because the vaccine is new to you.

Your body needs energy to produce this immune response, so it may release some extra glucose (sugar). This is what leads to your blood sugar increasing.

The full article is here

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/coronavirus-vaccines

HD

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Anybody else feeling more than a little bit miffed that GPs are to be paid £10 'bonus' for each visit they make to the housebound for their much needed injection of the vaccine? 

What the heck.

Link 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

That would hardly cover the cost of the petrol in some rural areas.  I believe GPs get - or at least used to get - various additional payments depending on, for example, the proportion of children on their books having had all their immunisations.  The same might be the case for breast cancer and bowel cancer screening.

GPs are effectively small businessmen/women who sell their services to the NHS for a fee stipulated in their contract which no doubt contains clauses designed to promote certain activities and make more mundane work less lucrative.  GPs have complained of having to do regular weigh checks of patients over a certain age whom they can tell just by looking at them, are of normal weight for their height.

billnotben
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

be paid £10 'bonus'

Yes that would do for starters. After all I can't see my GP. I have to get an appointment for him to phone me where I give my diagnosis of what's wrong with me. It's the very least he can pay me as I'm doing all the work while he doesn't move from his chair.

Or have I got that wrong.😀

gleneagles
Community Veteran

On the other hand I guess some GP’s are fed up of patients reading up about their condition on the internet and telling the Doctor what’s wrong and what medication to prescribe as, “A friend of mine had the same condition and that medication worked”

Think about it.....what ever job you did and in particular if you had to undergo lengthy training to complete it how would you feel if someone with no skills or knowledge was telling you what the problem was and how to solve it.

We see some good examples of this on sections of this forum where people with no knowledge are imparting advice to others who ask for help rather that leaving it to those who clearly know what they are talking about.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 6

@gleneagles wrote:

We see some good examples of this on sections of this forum where people with no knowledge are imparting advice to others who ask for help rather that leaving it to those who clearly know what they are talking about.

That's a very condescending comment....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

You say that, but when I suggested what particular type (or it might have been brand) of medication the doctor sat there in front of me... and looked it up on the internet!

True story.

Another true story as told to me by one doctor was that if only the patient knew how often we were winging it. "They think we know everything, but how can we"

Indeed.  

Pass the spanner. 

Have you heard of the baked bean theory of medicine? Told it here before I'm sure but like those prescriptions they dish out willy-nilly, happy to repeat. 😁

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Champnet wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

That's a very condescending comment....

I suspect @gleneagles comment wasn't aimed at you @Champnet but unfortunately it seems to be true regarding some others.  Wink

There are probably others, but without trawling the forums to find them, here are a few examples I've seen recently.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Connection-intermittently-awful-line-check-required/m-...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/unstable-connection/m-p/1790449#M120261

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Router-rebooting-all-the-time-I-cannot-work/m-p/178900...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Long-Running-Speed-Issue/td-p/1788200/page/3

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/speed-dropped-after-14-days-cancelation-period/td-p/17...

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles 

You say that, but when I suggested what particular type (or it might have been brand) of medication the doctor sat there in front of me... and looked it up on the internet!

True story.

Another true story as told to me by one doctor was that if only the patient knew how often we were winging it. "They think we know everything, but how can we"

Indeed.  

Pass the spanner. 

Have you heard of the baked bean theory of medicine? Told it here before I'm sure but like those prescriptions they dish out willy-nilly, happy to repeat. 😁

True, no one can know everything but the more a person keeps up to date with their job the better they are likely to be at it, there are some jobs where you are required to produce evidence or attend courses to ensure you keep up to date, for example I understand registered nurses are required to produce such evidence to remain on the register.

If I thought my doctor was ‘winging it’ I would be looking for another doctor.....in the past it was said they buried their mistakes but that is unlikely to happen these days.