Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oxford-Astra Zeneca

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Oxford-Astra Zeneca

@billnotben wrote:

I wonder if they tell you what jab you're having?

They have said that we won't have a choice of which vaccine we have but I would guess that the card they issue will give the name of the vaccine in case of out-of-hours problems.

I would certainly ask; they would find it hard to justify denying us that knowledge since we are supposed to give informed consent and be 'partners' in our care.

From the news this evening it sounds like all over 70s and those with severe health problems are expected to have had their first dose by the end of February so my turn should be in March some time.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@billnotben 

@Jonpe 

From what I understand the Pfizer vaccine is/has been rolled out first and the Astra Zeneca/Oxford later so it seems likely that because the Pfizer one has to be kept at a very lower temperature, this is the one the main vaccine centers will be using at least initially. The Astra Zenica/Oxford one however can be kept chilled in a normal refrigerator so it makes sense this is the one we'll be seeing in out local health centers or chemists. 

I don't mind either but given my age I don't suppose I'll be getting called in to receive it until about mid February - at least that's what the Welsh government here is telling us. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Jonpe
Hero

I'm sure I read somewhere that AstraZeneca is stepping up production and that this requires regulatory approval which is causing delay but once large scale production starts, there should be no problem getting the vaccine.  One factor the authorities will consider long term will be the cost; the Oxford-AstraZeneca one costs a lot less than the Phizer one.  At the moment anything is a lot cheaper than keeping someone in hospital for a night, even in a non-intensive care bed.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

At this time don't you find yourself thinking of your old school history books. You know the one, about the black death plague, rats and fleas, saved by the fire etc.

I'm thinking that the books obviously show a very simplistic version of events and now I'm also thinking, considering present circumstances, that things probably went nothing like the history books.

I mean here we are in the so called modern world and yet if we had a really deadly plague chances are it would still go on to make the black death look like a summer holiday. History blames lack of hygiene/cleanliness but this hasn't exactly helped us.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

You don't have to look at school history books or present day writings @billnotben 

There are lots of contemporary accounts, records and images from the time, and from right across Europe.

Just one here from the Bishop of Bath in the 14th century:

The plague... has left many parish churches... without parson or priest to care for their parishioners... Therefore, to provide for the salvation of souls... you should at once publicly command and persuade all men that, if they are on the point of death and cannot secure the services of a priest, then they should make confession to each other... if no man is present, then even to a woman.

All interesting stuff. 🙂

Jonpe
Hero

Making confessions to a WOMAN, good grief, women will be wanting to be vice president of the USA next! 😀

At the time of the black death it would take a very long time for it to spread, and mainly affected densely populated cities/ports.  There is no way an outbreak in a landlocked city in China would have found its way to London in a couple of months.

I read today that the Archbishop of Canterbury (65) had been vaccinated because he is a volunteer member of the chaplaincy team at St Thomas' Hospital.  I wonder how many dying patients' bedsides he has been sitting by during the pandemic.  Should he not cease volunteering for a month or so and wait his turn to be vaccinated?

Luzern
Hero

@Jonpe wrote:

@billnotben wrote:

I wonder if they tell you what jab you're having?

They have said that we won't have a choice of which vaccine we have but I would guess that the card they issue will give the name of the vaccine in case of out-of-hours problems.

I would certainly ask; they would find it hard to justify denying us that knowledge since we are supposed to give informed consent and be 'partners' in our care.

From the news this evening it sounds like all over 70s and those with severe health problems are expected to have had their first dose by the end of February so my turn should be in March some time.

We were given cards with vaccine type, not personalized. About letters emanating from NHS, postie delivered ours almost as we walked out the door to get our jabs on Saturday.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

More than meets the eye here, but is the EU trying to muscle in on our well in advance order for this vaccine. Seems to me they should have put their own house in order before trying to break into ours.

What cheek.

agedgopher
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman 

So much bluster from the EU. They have not yet approved the AstraZeneca vaccine for use and are trying to dictate terms to everyone who has approved it and also interfere with the contractual terms of the orders already placed.

Their threat to limit exports of vaccines produced in the EU in order to get a share of the AstraZeneca vaccine is , in my opinion, a power crazed move born out of desperation..

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

But we produce vaccine in this country.....perhaps we should limit number of vaccines that are sent to the EU 

After all this keeps us in line with what they are trying to do....

Their biggest problem might not be lack of vaccine but the large numbers of people refusing to take it, there have already been riots due to lockdown and these might spread to other EU states.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

And if we were still a member of the EU, would we be in the same situation as them with the administration of vaccines being  well behind. ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 6

Maybe it's time to close all borders and those that fled to other Countries will have to stay there....

agedgopher
Seasoned Pro

My daughter was at work on Friday last, she is a teacher in a special needs 6th form academy in the West Midlands. The phone rang just after lunch time and it was the local hospital asking if any staff wanted the Corona vaccine. They had had 30 people with appointments for jabs who failed to turn up and the vaccine would have to be thrown away, it was the Pfizer one.

Staff asked when con we come and they were told NOW!

Those that could go, went immediately leaving enough staff to safely cover the students needs. Our daughter is not able to have the vaccine because of  an allergy to Penicillin, latex and some serious food allergies.

It seems that vaccine refusals among the ethnic minorities are running at around 50% in the Birmingham area and 30% around Wolverhampton.

I am getting mine on Sunday afternoon.

Apparently the Pfizer vaccine is made in Belgium and the AstraZeneca is made in the UK, near Wrexham I believe.

HelloDuck
Pro
Fixes: 2

@agedgopher wrote:

Our daughter is not able to have the vaccine because of  an allergy to Penicillin, latex and some serious food allergies.

HI  agedgopher

Who has advised your daughter she cannot have the vaccine

I have a very serious reaction to Penicillin and have been told I can have it 

It's only people who carry an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI) who should not have it

If I have an allergy, should I be worried about a reaction from the COVID vaccine?

Those who have had allergic reactions to things such as food, latex, pollen and bee stings should still get the COVID-19 vaccine, Winokur said. Even those who have allergies to penicillin, antibiotics or types of medications are not at risk if they get a COVID-19 vaccine.

However, Winokur said people who have had an anaphylactic reaction to any type of vaccine should not receive this shot.

HD

agedgopher
Seasoned Pro

@HelloDuck 

Thanks for the information. I understand that she has been advised by GP's and also by local hospital staff, but I will put the information you have given to her later today.

Personally I have a huge distrust of information coming from USA medical sources. I have my own specific problems with some medications because I have no immune system having had me spleen removed in 2003. The consultant taking care of me currently has advised caution as far as the Pfizer vaccine is concerned but the AstraZeneca one should be fine.

Take care and I wish you well when you vaccination becomes due.