Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ovid's exile to the remotest margins of the Roman empire revoked

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Ovid's exile to the remotest margins of the Roman empire revoked

Rome city council overturns banishment of ‘one of the greatest poets’ more than 2,000 years after Augustus forced him to leave.

Rome city council on Thursday unanimously approved a motion tabled by the populist M5S party to “repair the serious wrong” suffered by Ovid, thought of as one of the three canonical poets of Latin literature along with Virgil and Horace.

Best known for his 15-book epic narrative poem Metamorphoses and the elegy Ars Amatoria, or the Art of Love, Publius Ovidius Naso was exiled in 8 AD to Tomis, the ancient but remote Black Sea settlement now known as the Romanian port city of Constanța.

He remained there until his death a decade later. Although ordered directly by the emperor, scholars have long speculated over the motive for Ovid’s exile; the poet himself attributed it to “carmen et error”, a poem and a mistake.

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ovid's exile to the remotest margins of the Roman empire revoked

I would have thought it more important for them to be discussing problems related to the living than bothering with the dead.

Smiley

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I'm sure they are - but extremely slowly. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@VileReynard Thanks for that ..... It has really made my feel much better about leaving skool early on sports days, cos I didn`t like sport..

and in recognition of this emancipating decision by the Rome Council,  I am going to write to my local council and see if they can organise a "twinning event" with Rome....

so that they can both share their crass stupidity over a bottle or two of Italian wine, 

On the same day... I expect the local council to declare a Public Holiday, and a "come one, come all"  Free barbecue with unlimited supply of Pizza and Cianti .

Community Veteran

Over here we are still doing the opposite.

Banishing historical figures because they did something which was perfectly normal for the time they lived in.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Well, we are still a bit sensitive about our involvement in the slave trade.

Community Veteran

I suppose if we didn't buy some surplus slaves offered by African tribes other countries would have, and did.

Future generations will probably talk in horror at the dark times of the minimum wage.