Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overseas car hire

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Overseas car hire

Been looking to hire a car for a week in August picking up are CDG Paris but so far at least, I cannot seem to get one for any less than a whopping £250 for a bog standard vehicle - yet if I rented here in the UK for a week in the same month it's easily half the price - so what's going on, and are they 'taking the Michael' because the booking for France is being made from here? 

Maybe I should get a relative over there to try and see what the price is. Surely it cannot be double!

Any suggestions guys?

21 REPLIES 21
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 115

Re: Overseas car hire

It's high season , it's Paris , sounds about right to me I'm afraid! I've just checked on https://www.zestcarrental.com and they're quoting similar prices

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@MisterW 

You may be right, as for the same dates collecting from Heathrow is around the same price. Sad

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 115

Yes, prices can vary enormously by season, especially in tourist areas. For instance, I'm in the Algarve at the moment and car rental is about £45/week . When we come in October it's £120 and in July/Aug I believe it  can easily be double that

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Trouble is I'm only there for a week visiting my son for a big family gathering but the plane lands too late to get a train down to Sancerre, so it's either an overnight stay in Paris and travel down the next day or that car hire.

Seems they have us my the short n curlies either way - but at least the flight over is cheap enough - and assuming the airline does not go bust between now and then! Crazy2

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 4

Just make sure you're not driving around Paris in the morning and evening rush hour, depending on your plans. I was driving my own car there a few years back and never forgotten it. I haven't been back since and if I did, I'd use public transport to get around. Managed to get into a traffic jam on the outskirts and even to this day, I still think French motorbike riders have a death wish. Going at high speed between vehicles isn't my idea of sensible riding.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman  Have you checked the option to hire in the UK and drive via Chunnel ?

Assuming it's still open....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Indeed, traffic can be a nightmare in Paris, especially if you miss the turn off for the périphérique which is easy enough to do coming from either the channel ports or CGD. 

I once got completely lost pre sat-nav/wife maps reading days. When the Mrs asked where we were I just happened to know (smug smug) and said "Well this is the Champs-Élysées". -  "How do you know that?" she said. "Well that" (mansplaining as we do and pointing to the front) "is the Arc de Triomphe!"  Crikey was a nightmare it was driving around that the 'opposite' way round - and with no quarter given.

Utterly lost after this so just kept heading in the one direction hoping to hit that périphérique which of course we eventually did and then picked up the A6 south.

You are right about those bikes (and scooters) as they are not averse to giving your car door a kick, or knocking the mirror around as they ride past if you did not pull over quick enough.

All good fun Smiley 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

No, but maybe I should have done @Champnet  - but the flight was cheap for two from Bristol and we've already booked.  The plan was to catch a ride with two others we knew but that's gone sort of pear shaped leaving me looking for that car so...

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

Try https://www.hirecarsinspain.com/ . They are a UK brokers. They now do rentals outside of Spain, just look for Paris in the drop down) and I have used them many times for rental in Spain. It is always handy to have English speaking support and they answer enquiries quickly. I imagine that hiring a car in France will be the same as in Spain and potentially much more expensive than the price you are quoted. Usually a low price is quoted, then you have to pay for a tank of fuel (at inflated prices, 75€ for a Fiat 500!), and bring back as empty as possible at the end. Insurance is included, but only for basic, doesn't include wheels, tyres, etc. If you don't take out their insurance, there is a 1000€ charge on your card until it is returned. HCiS provide proper fully inclusive rentals as well as the same as others. Also, try to make sure you have a daily paper or something with the date on to take pictures of the car, just in case they try to clobber you for damage afterwards, not all car companies will check the car with you before/ after.

Mark

P.S. I have no relationship with HCis, except as a customer.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

A small car with rentalcars.com for the first week in August is £192 and a medium one is £219. Give them a check with your actual dates.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Thanks guys, will check those out. Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,025

With regard to the the insurance I'd look at icarhireinsurance as it's a lot cheaper than getting either direct from the rental company or the third party site like rentalcars.com

I had to claim with then and it was sorted out quickly.
Out of all the companies I have found enterprise to be the best (I've had to rent a car most weeks in europe over the last 3 years), but of course ymmv.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@artmo 

Gave that site a go and as a 'member' it came back with a small car (Twingo) quote for £235 for nine days which is not bad, so thanks for the link.  Thumbs_Up

PS. Not clear who the actual rental company is but I guess that will be given when booking?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

That's odd. I use them a lot for US car hire. Once you've entered your details it brings up a list of available cars with prices and in each box it shows the rental company. Their phone number is on the site. Give them a call and they will tell you the company.