cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overseas Aid

valart
Grafter

Overseas Aid

There are people in this country up to their neck in water and I heard that money could be a problem with cut backs in helping these people,there seems to be no shortage in sending money to India and Somalia remember what Geoge Osbourne said we are all in this together these people in parliament are taking the british people fo mugs just remember their pay rise and the exspences scandal,it's more like pull the rope and who cares about you lot.
9 REPLIES
RichAllen
Grafter

Re: Overseas Aid

George Osborne is a numpty.
He is a typical Tory Politician, says what he thinks the Electorate wants to hear, and does the exact flipping opposite.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Maybe we should just ask all the other countries for some aid.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And, despite cutting back the number of service men, they have just launched another recruiting campaign for  the army.... costing 3 MILLION POUNDS.... Huh ?  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I never cease to be amazed by that. They start slashing our forces and then immediately start recruiting new members  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

It's disgraceful.
Why the hell do we keep giving all of these handouts, just for the people of these countries to pack up and come here any way?
We are paying places like Somalia millions, and then we are taking in their citizens and feeding/housing them at even more cost, and then a large percentage are being imprisoned and costing even more!
It's pathetic.
There are genuine British folk who NEED help today, but because of the EU, and our weak governments, the money that should be spent on the British people, is being spent on foreigners.
myredhotcar
Grafter

@ Devonian: Overseas monetary aid isn't handed out from trucks like food aid. You make it sound like we are sending trucks of money over, like it is maize. And it isn't being spent on foreigners it is being spent on foreign policy.
Also it is worth bearing in mind we established a protectorate in Somalia for our own ends and the country is currently not doing great. There are these bad dudes running about with weapons and they share ideological traits with the other bad dudes we've been fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, the dudes that have been killing coalition forces and who don't appear to like us all much. Now, the bad dudes back in Somalia have controlled large parts of the country at times; they are also the same bad dudes that attacked the mall in Kenya not many months ago. They also caused upset in 1993 during the Battle of Mogadishu, which was famously made into a mediocre film. While I wouldn't usually advocate Hollywood blockbusters as a method of learning history Black Hawk Down will give you an idea.
Anyway, Al-Shabaab (the Somalian bad dudes) have taken advantage of the lawlessness there and gained some public support by providing services to the people and we don't want the country being ran by terrorists. We could send loads of troops, but being a small island we don't have loads and the ones we do have are mired in Afghanistan or ill with PTSD. We sent troops there for similar reasons by the way. Instead, we are sending aid; if the people have food and stuff they might be less inclined to join the bad dudes. If we support governments and security forces with aid maybe they will get to the point where they can counter the threats themselves. Just like what we are trying to do in the Middle East.

Devonian
Grafter

A million Pound coins would fill a truck surely? Wink
It's the same thing, money, food, whatever, it all comes from the tax payer, and it is all being sent to provide comfort to foreigners.
Whether it gets to them, or the barbaric lot in each of these countries is by the by.
The fact is, money that is needed here, in the UK, is being sent abroad.
Budget cut, after budget cut, tax rise after tax rise, benefit cuts after benefit cuts, the MOD is being destroyed, just like the NHS and schools... but the Government, whether this one, or the previous, still find billions each year to send abroad.
It is wrong.
When you see a homeless person on the streets in the UK, you tell me they are less needy than a refugee in Syria?
When our house is in order, then and only then, we can start to look abroad.
myredhotcar
Grafter

I'm finding it hard to imagine the amount of coinage involved but where there's a will there is a way  Smiley
I agree that ideally our own house would be in order but I am struggling to imagine a period in our history (even in our colonial heyday) when we wouldn't have had homeless people and suchlike. Arguably it shouldn't be as bad today with the welfare system.
I suppose it is easier to send aid than occupying troops, I would hope cheaper too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
And, despite cutting back the number of service men, they have just launched another recruiting campaign for  the army.... costing 3 MILLION POUNDS.... Huh ?  Crazy
Ah bit they DIDN'T cut back on recruitment staff. So they have to keep busy to justify their jobs.... Angry