cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheating in the mancave :D

TORPC
Grafter

Overheating in the mancave :D

As the title suggests, electrical equipment is also suffering in this heatwave, (not to shutdown phase as yet) despite having all windows open / a desk fan & floor standing blasting away, I have also pulled the work unit away from the wall, which has helped but not by much.
In an attempt to cool things down I am going to use a load of approx  4 - 6 old PC fans in 2 frames 1 to suck the hot air & the other frame (you guessed it) to push cool air in on the opposite side
The question I have is
For the long term
When covering the fans
What do you think is best that will not only look aesthetically pleasing, but also for the practical use
Will be using ply & 1 x 1 Just checked & none left so have to use 2 x 1 Inch batten instead
Chrome / coloured grill(s)
Or The gauzy type fabric similar to what goes over speakers
Or
other suggestion(s)
Either way will have to purchase the covering a none here  Wink
41 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Overheating in the mancave :D

whatever you use it will need to have easy access for dust cleaning, so something like a fine mesh metal covering would probably be better on the inflow side on the outflow a wide grill so that not to much builds up would probably work best, after all you want any dust that gets in to leave but also to try and stop it arriving in the first place, but it might be cheaper to invest in stand alone air con unit like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-Portable-Mini-Air-Conditioner-unit-12-240v-Cooler-Summer-Car-Room-...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

Your post prompted me to check my temperatures as it does get extremely warm in the living room.
Currently MB is 40C and CPU is 51C.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Just checked mine
M/B 40 deg C - it is passively cooled
GPU 34 deg C
CPU 30 deg C
HD various 25 - 31 deg C
Mind you I have very good CPU cooling and the GPU also has a very good fan and there are two 120mm case fans
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

From HWinfo64
MB = 33
CPU = 24
GPU = 34
HD = 29
pretty cool Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
TORPC
Grafter

That is an idea however melted ice where kids are running about about can lead to knocks & spillages, & in the mancave that would not be wise tbh
That is partly why I dismiss liguid cooling PC's, ax I have seen the irreparable damage that can be caused
I was thinking something like this, but know I would likely be sent to Coventry (Since a couple of little people do not like spiders)  Tongue

@Mav
1st I get Strat & Midnight Caller to defrost their freezer(s) & anyone else that have not come forward as yet
to which I apologised
Now I managed to get you OJ & so far rongtw to check the core temps
OOps , sorry I didn't mean to Wink
CPU ====> 620 C
M/B ====> 490 C
HDD ====> 510 C
nanotm
Pro

room temp is 27.7
from cupid hw monitor
cpu 44.0
mainboard 34.0
ssd 32.0
hdd 34.0
gfx card is 39.0 (from catalyst control center)
so far so good
@torpc
I know what you mean re the kids and liquids, some years back after I had just finished putting a custom build pc together one of my darlings popped the top off there tommy tipee cup and emptied the water into the back of my tower unit whilst I was running a burn in ......thankfully I still had the not so great old system to use while the insewerants sorted things out, luckily for the lil blighter the bang scared everyone so much I didn't murder him before allowing logic to take over Smiley
if your using led fans I take it there not going to be in eyeliner when trying to use the screen 
Fixes: 125

@ TORPC Since installing the cooling system I now have a couple of years ago I haven't worried about temperatures. My main concern was under heavy load, for example, when rendering videos where the CPU temp started to hit the 80s :O Now it rarely gets over 50 even with all 6 cores maxing out.
The whole box would be cooler if I could move it from it's current position by the side of the desk where air flow is slightly restricted but we have a lack of space to put it else where. Hopefully that will change once we find somewhere new soon.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

@nano
So glad to hear your little one was unscathed

Its not just the PC that is affected, it is all devices, as this room is like a blast furnace, like Mav no room to move it to cooler climbs of the house
This is what I will be running the fans with (Click on images to see larger views)
The bit you can't make out above the 0000 is the RPM

There is no make / model on the Fan Temp Controller (before anyone asks) I got it with a job lot of stuff (very cheap) from a Computer fair
It is caters for the
CPU
SYS
HDD
It has 3 sensors that I can / will put in the hot spots Wink (WHAT is a HOT SPOT not) ?Huh
The two panels are each going to have four fans
Fan specs
3 x AKASA 12v 1.1w Type Ball Bearing
1 X Make Unknown 12v 0.23A Type Sleeve Bearing
1 X AVC 12v 0.15A Type Sleeve Bearing
1 X Tricod Science 12v 0.11A Type Ball Bearing
1 X ZP DC Brushless Fan 12v 0.15A Type Sleeve Bearing
1 X SUNON 12v 2.6W Type Sleeve Bearing
I am debating to either recess the fans into the panel or just bolt them on ?Huh
& still none the wiser what covering to go with / for
nanotm
Pro

leave the extractor side without a covering to aid optimal air movement and put a fabric gril (old beading works well) stretched tight over the frame you loose a bit of airflow but it acts as a good dust stopper, as to mounting so long as the air cone is unimpeded by the frame just bolt them on its a lot easier to mount them that way and put the fabric over on the other side of the frame to the fans
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

While you lot are talking about pc fans and the like, imagine how rotten it is when the car stereo over heats and refuses to play anymore top tunes while driving! The damn thing is driving me crazy!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

The covering will only be going on the side that can be seen
@7up
Have you tried the good ole way of giving it a firm tapping to
Community Veteran

Actually i did do that the other day - gave it a damn good thump and it came to life lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The best cooler going is a mini fridge filled with your favourite tipple  Smiley
Apologies in advance for derailing this thread  Wink
TORPC
Grafter

Cool That is working for me (from the main fridge though) as no Mini fridge, however I have Mini me's running back & forth / when I can get them motivated (that is) Tongue
However
Not good for the electrical devices though, hence the need for fan cooling Wink
& any good ideas in respect of the main question or the complete build,  would not be dismissed Wink Wink
& nobody clocked
2 x 1 Inch batten
Yes I know may be a bit overkill, however, I have no 1 X 1 Inch batten