Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcoming the B.S.O.D.

JayG
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Overcoming the B.S.O.D.

Hi, my name is JayG and I have come here to see if I could offer anything to the group because I believe I am now in remission from Broadband Speed Obsession Disorder (B.S.O.D.) and wanted to share my experiences with you.
It all started when things were a bit quiet on the “hobby” forum I spend a great deal of time on so I joined the Plusnet forums out of curiosity more than anything.
I love to know how things work so before I knew it I had read and digested nearly every page of this and also Kitz’s website (well, partially digested - some of it I found rather difficult to chew TBH.)
Of course, by this time me and Samknows were like old buddies, and the magic words “21CN WBC status – enabled” against my exchange were pulsing brightly at me from the page in a way that I found strangely hypnotic…...  Roll eyes
It didn’t take long to realise that my life would be completely transformed if I switched to ADSL2+, which apparently could be done by the nice people at Plusnet for free!!
This was duly done, and the upstream cap eventually removed, but by now I was completely obsessed with squeezing every last drop of speed I could from my connection (the fact that I don’t really need speeds higher than I was already getting never really occurred to me!)
More research, more messing around with MTU’s, every sort of Ping test known to man, new RJ11 cable routed separately and away from any conceivable source of interference, and even a top-of-the-range ADSL filter – nothing was too much trouble in my quest to find those extra few Kb’s!
Luckily sense gradually started to return (I think it was while I was strolling to the estate agents to put my house on the market so I could move closer to the exchange!) and I realised that I actually have a perfectly reliable connection which is within 10% of the maximum speed predicted by my friend Kitz for my line and is more than adequate for what I use it for.
Even though it’s theoretically untrue to say that there is always someone worse off than you, in broadband terms I am certainly not the poor sod who actually is.
I now have a 50% faster connection which is still stable at no extra cost, and more to the point I can now walk straight past estate agents without even noticing them! (If PN could sort out the automatic updating of their line profile I would be 100% happy, but you can’t have everything, can you?............)  Undecided
8 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Overcoming the B.S.O.D.

From the subject title I was expecting the famous Windows Blue Screen of Death  Wink
randpwar
Grafter

Wait until your exchange is FTTC enabled; my guess is you’ll get that old tingly feeling back and you’ll just have to upgrade again to get those exciting speeds…….and you still won’t have to worry about the estate agents as all you need to do is to be fairly close to the cabinet, which most people are, and then like me you’ll be able to get 35mb  Grin  Cheesy
JayG
Aspiring Pro

I think I will have to look elsewhere for my tingly feelings for the foreseeable future ( Cool) because I live in Sheffield, on a road already Virgin cabled (too expensive, thanks!), the city has the much-heralded "Digital Region Broadband" infrastructure already in place (but recent headlines suggest it has just handed out the begging bowl for more cash.)
It seems it needs a "name" like Plusnet to kick-start the action for domestic consumers, but despite being Sheffield-based PN don't appear to be interested at the moment.
With that scenario, it's hardly surprising my local exchange does not appear on the soon-to-be-FTTC list!  Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you have two greedy Fibre suppliers, why do you want a third, with faster speed, you will be visiting your bank manager as you have run out of Gb.
Me I have a Freesat recorder and I am watching live programs tonight and recording another, recorded four programs today for later, lucky its a twin tuner and can record two and watch a third, also got a freew view one as some times the recording two wont let me watch the thirds
very rare for me nor to have something to watch,  then I can keep my PN value package ticking over and not have to worry about iPlayer using up my Gb's
JayG
Aspiring Pro

Sheffield's got Virgin cable for some, FTTC for a few others, and the Digital Regional Broadband network which is supposed to benefit "everyone" but seems to be on the rocks at the moment and only being sold by tiny ISP's which are no doubt well-intentioned but who I've never heard of.
I call that a really messy stalemate from which no-one looks likely to benefit in the foreseeable future.  Sad
As for being tempted to start using mega-GB's given half a chance, I personally don't think so (despite spending many hours a day, seven days a week "working" on my favourite forum I've still only clocked up 2.8GB with 4 days to go of the billing period - Freeview TV and a DVD recorder more than covers what I can find that is actually worth watching!)
john50
Grafter

Quote from: JayG
Digital Regional Broadband network which is supposed to benefit "everyone" but seems to be on the rocks at the moment and only being sold by tiny ISP's which are no doubt well-intentioned but who I've never heard of.

Well I've just gone onto one of those tiny providers ( starts with an Ori ) and couldn't have found them more  helpful and to be honest Plusnet  stuffed something up and it was only with my new providers intervention PN admitted their mistake (thanks JS the admission and apology was appreciated) PN most definetly refused to admit fault to me when I spoke to them, anyway 24m package on digital region South Yorkshire and getting a shocking 23.5 consistantly,oh and unlimited down and up with no throttling.
Only one more thing to sort out with Plusnet now as the email send issue still isn't sorted I'll be on the phone shortly............now I've got one again  Wink
nadger
Rising Star

I'm with you p_p  Smiley
Normally watch using Freesat HD but can also record another two programmes using Humax Freeview SD box. Also make good use of +1 facilities. Being old I also get free licence  Smiley
My cabinet has FTTC but speeds I get are more than adequate and, even after donating 2Gb to Samknows/Ofcom, I live within 10Gb.
Community Veteran

that was really entertaining, jayg, made me chuckle.