cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclockers.co.uk, how good is their reputation latey?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Overclockers.co.uk, how good is their reputation latey?

My graphics card is about to die and all my searches show them as the cheapest for the card I am looking for.  They used to have a bad rep but a quick look through trust pilot reviews makes me wonder if they are legitimate reviews, too many glowing reviews.  So are they good or bad?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
10 REPLIES
myredhotcar
Grafter

Re: Overclockers.co.uk, how good is their reputation latey?

Hi Gus
My experience has been different; they used to be great but no so good right now. I used them exclusively for several years but latterly I have been using Scan (despite their website layout).
Not sure if they are still doing it but when I recently replaced my monitor the price increased by £22 in a single day on the OCUK website and monitors aren't as volatile as RAM in terms of pricing. Also, their own brand stuff can be terrible. I purchased an OCUK DVD±RW which was a rebadged TSST (Samsung) unit. It's incredibly noisy, slow and produces a lot of errors in operation. It also liked to hang boot at BIOS. Nothing like the other TSST drives I own.
I have had no issues with Scan as of yet.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I ordered some parts from ocuk last year and whilst there fine (and they were the cheapest price available by a large margin) they took 2 weeks to arrive, there customer service was bonk and they couldn't tell me why it took them 2 weeks to fill the order .....
normally I buy from ebuyer/scan/novatech and a few others but there all much of a muchness in terms of purchase experience so mostly its about the price the parts cost (my latest gfx card came from aria tech cos there daily deals price was £100 cheaper than elsewhere)
but I tend to have more time to price check on various websites so I generally pay less for parts by checking through all the vendors I trust (or at least I trust the parts will arrive eventually) and sometimes choose a slightly higher priced one (like scan or ebuyer) because of there order tracking and rapid delivery
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Ok thanks for the info nanotm and myredhotcar, I will have a look at the others and Aria, which I forgot about.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Fixes: 123

Quote from: nanotm
normally I buy from ebuyer/scan/novatech and a few others but there all much of a muchness in terms of purchase experience so mostly its about the price the parts cost (my latest gfx card came from aria tech cos there daily deals price was £100 cheaper than elsewhere)

I agree with this adding in Aria, too.
A couple of years back I got a duff HDD from Scan. There was no problem getting a replacement out within a day and returning the damaged one.
Similar with Aria when I PC I order for my mother arrived with a wireless card that failed to work. They arranged collection, replacement and redelivery quite promptly.
If buying just one item I simply look for the cheapest inc delivery costs. If purchasing several items it may not be so easy as the delivery can, and often does, push the price up if selecting multiple suppliers. Often best to use one retailer at that point.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I used to exclusively use Ebuyer until they started to only quote highlands and islands delivery charges £15 for anything ordered to Inverness, when they really sent it £9.99 Parcel farce if it was heavy and second class if not.  But I spent a few hours this morning trawling sites for the best price for the card I wanted, in the end couldn't get the one I wanted the Asus GTX 750 Ti 2gig, but my second choice Evga in the same spec.
Partly the price / the warranty / known issues.  MSI I know have badly designed 700 family chipset cards which have been failing with blown resistors, the reason why they are so cheap.  As for warranty, Asus/Evga are one of the few that still offer a 3 year warranty on parts,  others are trying to get away with 1 or 2 years which simply isn't worth it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

what was the problem in getting the Asus card as it seems to be widely available
Community Veteran

Jim simply the Price, the Evga was cheaper with free postage
myredhotcar
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
I ordered some parts from ocuk last year and whilst there fine (and they were the cheapest price available by a large margin) they took 2 weeks to arrive, there customer service was bonk and they couldn't tell me why it took them 2 weeks to fill the order .....

In their defence I have always found their delivery reliable and their customer services very good (except for the time they made me wait an age for an RMA HDD which was audibly knackered). They were not usually the cheapest though.
PitchBlack
Grafter

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-geforce-gtx-750-ti-2gb-pci-e-3-0-hdmi-oc-98K3.html?refs=499070000&...
I switch between 3, OCUK, E-Buyer and Dabs, I can't fault either of them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've recently used Dabs a fair bit (and shop.bt.com - the same company but sometimes you get a slightly better price or delivery deal from one or the other), still regularly use Aria, never had any problem (at least not one that wasn't properly resolved) with any of these.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.