cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ovens

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ovens

Since we moved into our home getting on for 10 years ago, we have had 4 new built-in electric ovens. The house (new build) was supplied with a built-in oven (single type) of nondescript origins. This was quickly replaced with a NEFF, that failed in a big way (caught fire) to be replaced by another NEFF. That has also gone to that great kitchen in the sky, to be supplanted by a Hotpoint (badge engineered Indesit)
My issue with these ovens is that though they are all similar designs -given the type they would have to be- is the way the built-in grill is used, all have been fitted with grill elements in the root of the oven, according to their own instructions the oven door whilst using the grill should be:
Nondescript:  door fully open
Neff:  door completely closed
Neff:  door completely closed
Hotpoint:    has a partially open position for grill use
Apart from having a sneaky feeling that having the door closed when grilling has led to the faults that has required the replacement of the appliances, does anybody know why different makers recommend the different door positions?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Ovens

Bhy you are having some bad look with Ovens, an Oven should last more than 10 years, I have a gas Oven and it is over 15 years old and still going strong, but it does need a good clean vowe, what I am embarassed to say.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Neff claim that as their grill is controlled by the oven temperature thermostat having the door open will overheat the top of the oven.
Other manufacturers control the grill by a simple rheostat so the grill element is controlled to give a specified heat output. If the door is closed instead of being open or partly open then the temperature inside the oven could rise to dangerous levels
Community Veteran

Thank you Oldjim, a wonderfully concise answer.
Midnight Caller, just bad luck really.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

It is alright Petlew - I too have had ovens replaced.  In the flat I lived in before to Worksop I had a new kitchen with single fitted Whirlpool oven installed in 1993 - replaced with  Electrolux 1997, that went 2005.  So got an Indesit.
This house had a Whirlpool single oven fitted when I moved in Sept 07, that went in May 09 so now have Hotpoint.
I just wish I had an ordinary oven now not a fitted in one and when this goes I might well see if I can change over!  Hotpoint have just sent me a letter say the 12 mth guarantee finishes in May so do I want to pay £44 for another year's cover!  Nothing like being well in advance but no - I hope this lasts longer than that!!
nadger
Rising Star

That's bad luck, Petlew.
We bought a Jackson electric cooker when we bought our first house in 1969 and it made it into this century. Reason we kept it was it had a spit built into top oven.
Bought a Moulinex table top rotisserie oven in France about 10 years ago and that's still working ok and grill is used most days - it's currently warming up some Morrisons steak & ale pies for dinner  Smiley
Community Veteran

On reflection Oldjim you may have something there.
Both NEFF's had over heating problems with the grill, but both also had oven temperature maintenance problems as well, if they both used the same stat, that would explain much.