cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ovens

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ovens

when we moved into the current property there was a onyx built in oven which lasted us 23 years, when it broke we replaced it with a Samsung oven.
Last weekend the thing conked out, no digital display, no nothing. so that's less than 3 years use.
No idea where the paperwork is but even if I found it I guess the best I could expect is some discount but do I really want to buy another oven from them ?
Power supply to the oven is ok and there was no obvious fuse so I guess something has burned out.
So have ovens gone the same way as most other goods with a limited lifespan of 5 to 7 years or in my case less than 3 years ?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Ovens

Pretty much they are build to a cost not to a standard any more. We had a small portable oven, a Prolex (or something like that) that we bought about 15 years ago, it worked very well, was seldom used as it was in the caravan, until about 6 years ago when the main oven kicked its clogs. I brought it in to be a standby one till I could get another. It was the MAIN oven for most of that time since even when I got a replacement oven we found the small one was enough to heat up most things fine. Then the top element went last month, couldn't find a replacement for it or the oven, most of the newer ones are a LOT smaller (like 50%) so the "main" oven is back in use again, with a small one to heat things like pies/curries etc.
I don't buy new ovens now, just get a used one off freecycle etc and use it till it blows. Saves £100's over the years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Last year we installed a new cooker in our rental holiday home. Last month we had a guest complete a problem report on check-out. He enjoyed the stay but had to report a knob fell off. Some threadlocking glue fixed it. They don't make like they used to.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We tend to get unbranded consumer durables with our fitted kitchens. SWMBO tells me we are due a new kitchen at home and the two companies we have spoken to have both included free ovens etc.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Buy vintage, old appliances were built to last, whereas modern ones are built to break once the warranty's up... Smiley
The Creda washer here conked out the other day, shed it's lower concrete block (mount point broke off the tub, all hell broke loose, it was almost like photonicinduction paid a visit!!), could fix it with a new tub, but Indesit who own Hotpoint now won't sell a new tub for less than £100, so I've bought another Hotpoint washer of the same age as the Creda (the Creda is just a Hotpoint with a white case and different front panel), simply because of the ease of repair and wealth of spares such as belts, seals, bearings and spiders (drum support brackets)... Smiley
If it's modern and brand new, it ain't worth bothering with, cos a year down the road it'll be knackered...
PowerLee
Rising Star

Got a 7 year old Bosch oven, that had to have a new heating element last year as it was tripping the RCD out in the consumer unit.
I'm on the 4th or 5th Bosch washer dryer, they either get repaired or replaced under 5 year extended warranty, last one that failed was beyond economic repair once the engineer had made out the report ( I reckon he just didn't want to repair it ) so it was replaced by the warranty company.
Ive got a very old Electrolux fridge at work in the workshop, paid £5 for it second hand 9 years ago & its still working fine, had to have a new plug on it this year to pass electrical safety test  Grin
As long as it keeps my lunch & milk cool I'm happy.
Ive no idea how old the fridge actually is ( wouldn't be surprised if its older then me ) but its one that has a lock on the door & you have to press the handle button in to open it ( well you would if it was still there, broke a few years back )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Belling anyone?  Cheesy
Seriously they're very old and incredibly dated but they are indestructible. We have a 3 ring mini belling cooker in the kitchen. It's ugly, the oven is a bit small, impossible to clean there is so much crud baked in for 40 odd years of use but it just doesn't break.
We're going to be moving soon and the new place has a built in cooker. I was just saying to the missus today that we can get rid of the old thing and weigh it in for metal... having seen this thread i am now in two minds about that idea.. maybe keep it in the garage instead...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Keep the Belling, wire it in too, so that way when the built-in components-made-in-china thing breaks, you have a backup available, or have extra cooking facilities for cooking up large amounts of food for something...  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: PowerLee
Got a 7 year old Bosch oven, that had to have a new heating element last year as it was tripping the RCD out in the consumer unit.

Oh dear, we had a Samsung and I replaced it with a ...................Bosch !
Other posts regarding keeping old electrical items seems a good idea, in fact they may even be safer than some of the modern ones, there have been a number of house fires caused by newish electrical items such as dishwashers.
dick:green Quote fixed.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I've got a 14 year old Zanussi (electric) cooker.
The two fan ovens are still going - although the light bulbs have expired.
How about fridges - do they ever break down?

Community Veteran

Based on my own experience a single fridge or freezer are normally reliable but the same cannot be said for a combined fridge freezer.
I also understand that fridges made in more recent times will not work if the surrounding temperature falls below a certain level as my daughter found to her cost when living in rented digs that had no central heating and was unoccupied for most of the day.
Community Veteran

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
How about fridges - do they ever break down?

Modern ones do, the gases they use these days (such as R600a, or Isobutane, lovely flammable explosive gas when it leaks and blows your kitchen to smithereens as has happened a number of times) are not as efficient as the older stuff (such as R12, which was a CFC gas) and require higher compression than older gases, so the compressors tend to wear out faster than older refrigeration systems, that's why a fridge from 30 years ago will still work today, but a fridge from 3 years ago is probably on the scrap pile already...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We have a cast iron stove from J E Brassey's in Chester. I'm not sure of its age, probably Victorian but it does bear a Patent Number of 790. It still works but we can't seem to find any parts on espares.co.uk . I ended up recasting the fire brick lining as the original was burning out. One tube of Stove Black, a tub of elbow grease, some old rags and an hour's work this weekend made it look as new. It bakes bread well if the fire is high enough.
They don't make 'em like they used to.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

My father now retired, started work when he was 14 installing range cookers such as Aga's and Rayburn's, some are still working. And before he retired he was still servicing the cooker which was now owned by the grandchildren of the people who originally bought it.
But as has been mentioned below, they do not make them like that any more. The old ones were just large chunks of cast iron which had very little to go wrong with them, unless you had too much of a draft, such as a door seal not fitting, letting in more air than needed and turning the solid fuel ones into a furnace.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Yep, nothing is made like it used to be, as it was all thick, strong, heavy materials that last, today it's plastic, tinfoil and cheap rivets, or weak easy-break screws if you're lucky...
Keep the old stuff going, nuts to keeping the capitalist-economy going, keep the spare parts economy going... Grin