cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oven bulbs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Oven bulbs

Does anybody else have a problem with oven bulbs blowing at regular intervals?
I seem to be changing the bulb in our oven every two or three months.
Its not an old oven (Hoover) less than two years, nor am I using cheapie bulbs, usually Osram.
As a thought, the previous oven (Hotpoint) used quite a few as well, that predecessor (don't remember what it was, but a bit of a "no-name")I don't think was ever replaced in 10 years.
Incidentally, I broke an oven temp knob on the Hotpoint, A spare part replacement was in excess of £20...daylight robbery for a plastic (or bakelite) knob. Don't know whether the fact that whenever the oven was opened the knobs were subject to a blast of hot air being just above the drop down door top edge has anything to do with it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Oven bulbs

Can you check the contacts where the bulb screws in to (see if they are bent/distorted)? Also, do you have the correct wattage bulb?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Regarding the knobs issue...... some cookers have a "heat shield" that can be pulled out to protect the knobs, when the grill is in use....
Also for replacement knobs...... Google Hoover Cooker Knobs.... and similarly go to ebay... and see if they come up with "cheaper" versions...
If it has a quarter inch shaft, with a flat on, for grub screw...you could also have a look at radio equipment knobs...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thank you AndyH, the bulb type is correct to manufacturers spec. after a lot of searching there is only one bulb that will fit into the screw-on dome cover that fits over the bulb (the bulb actually fits into it) which seriously limits the choice of bulbs available but is 15W SES, there are a lot more that won't fit.
The tip of the screw end certainly looks as if it is making good contact.
@Shutter, I think that is what I did in the finish, I was "moaning" about the original fit replacement cost.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

You are using the proper oven bulbs? They are usually twice the price of the standard SES 15W ones but are rated for high temperature use.
Community Veteran

I agree with the comment on using bulbs designed for an oven. Not only do they run hotter because of the oven but they also run hotter because they are enclosed in a small holder.
Also make sure your glass cover is as clean as you can get it (try soaking it with a dishwasher tablet or use oven cleaner on it) - the cleaner it is, the longer your bulbs should last.