cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outrageous: do you agree?

thisoldman
Grafter

Outrageous: do you agree?

So we are all going to be forced soon to purchase  compulsory dog insurance.  How does this government think oap's can afford another (estimated) £20 a month for dog insurance.
Do they thi nk we oap'sare made of money. I have a 13 yr old small blind dog and  i have no intention of adding to my outgoings.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Outrageous: do you agree?

It was 3rd party dog insurance only which will be much cheaper - unless you have a dog which keeps biting people.
The £20 you quote is for vets bills etc.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article7054651.ece
Compulsory microchipping of every dog — which would cost owners an average £30 — is included in a consultation report published today.
It also suggests that the six million dog owners in Britain should be covered by third-party insurance to cover injuries to victims of dog attacks.
Now the compulsory microchipping will be a more serious cost
thisoldman
Grafter

No oldjim.you are mistaken. The 20£ fee is not for  health insurance.Its an estimate for this new compulsory insurance.
Ans..........its almost impossible to get health insurance for dogs over 12 years of age.
thisoldman
Grafter

final comments. i forgot to say when you insure your car the premium is based on many factors  mileage speed engine type etc etc.
So why should evry dog owner be forced irrespective of size bred age  medical condition to pay the same statutory fee?
That is so so unfair.
Fixes: 47

...and of course the problem owners, the ones that cause most of the trouble won't bother with chipping or insurance anyway.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

From the article I linked to
Most pet insurance includes third party cover. Petplan, Britain’s biggest pet insurer with 40 per cent of the market, said typical monthly prices were £25.23 for a Japanese akito, £24.75 for a Staffordshire bull terrier, £24.75 for a labrador, £22.85 for a chihuahua and £16.73 for a Jack Russell. This includes basic annual cover of £4,000 for vet’s bills and up to £1 million in third party liability and legal fees.

However the extent of third party cover is a major factor.
The typical third party cover includes the dog running out onto a road and causing an accident not just biting or attacking someone
Third party liability:
If property is damaged, or someone is killed, injured or falls ill as a result of an incident involving your pet during the policy year, we will pay compensation and costs awarded against you by a court and the legal cost and expenses for defending a claim against you.
The cover against your pet biting or assaulting someone would be much less for a small dog.
jmd
Grafter

Local dog wardens in many areas do microchipping - cost about £10.  My insurance for Holly is £15 per month [Sainsburys].  Can't imagine Holly biting anyone - she light lick them to death.  But of course some dog owners would not bother just as they do not bother picking up their dog's poop................. so not sure how it would be enforced.
David_W
Rising Star

I used to have a beautiful German Shepherd called Benny and he was quite possibly the most intelligently stupid dog on the planet, he could figure out how to open a door by jumping up and turning the handle, but whenever he farted he'd look around with a "what was that, who did that?" kind of look.  He wasn't by any measure a vicious dog, he had a pleasant personality most of the time but occasionally he would be in a bad mood.  There was this one time when my niece was staying over (he loved my niece) and she was out playing with some other children, quite happily, but Ben didn't understand that, he thought Ashley was in trouble, so when she opened the door he shot out and jumped at the boy she was playing with, knocking him over.  He didn't attack or hurt the boy luckily enough, and the boys parents understood that he was trying to protect Ashley.
It could however have gone so badly wrong, he wasn't a small dog and he could easily have caused major damage to the child - if he was so inclined (luckily he wasn't).
After Ben died (he fell down the stairs which bruised his back legs, I'm convinced the medication the vet gave him killed him, one of the side-effects was possible death) we were given another German Shepherd from people who were emigrating.  This dog *was* vicious, he hadn't been brought up properly by the previous owners and had even jumped through a patio door window to attack someone, he was too much for us to handle, especially on an estate with lots of children, so we had to give him away.  He was however a gorgeous looking dog.
It's for dogs like the 2nd one that insurance would be needed, with an unpredictable nature we felt it wasn't a matter of "if he attacked someone" but more "when he attacked someone", we had to keep him muzzled even indoors so he wouldn't attack my brother who was visiting.
It is going to be expensive to insure lots of dogs, and I'm sure the police will be given powers to impound uninsured/non-chipped dogs.  However, there are agencies out there which will help people on low incomes, especially pensioners.  Ben's  vet bills were covered by the PDSA or something, so I'm sure there will be ways for pensioners to whom a pet is a part of their life that helps them keep active, keeps them company and are wonderful, loyal and trustworthy companions, to obtain free insurance as well as free chipping (again, Ben was neutered by a PDSA scheme, he didn't enjoy that aspect of it though).
I just wish you hadn't mentioned mandatory microchipping..............
community
Grafter

@dgwebb
quote"an unpredictable nature"......ALL animals are wild (even some humans  Wink )
But animals like dogs are particularly unpredictable and therefore we should all be aware of this fact.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

quite a lot about in on our local radio, including an opposition MP (from Southend) supporting it
unconfirmed statement, if a nicked dog with a chip is taken to a vet, he will take no action - Confidentiality and all that
from Police, we cant as havnt the time, check chips or insurance
The main culprits will do nothing