Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Out with BBC and in with Wikipedia

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Telegraph"]
Why you probably trust Wikipedia more than the BBC
A significant moment slipped by this weekend and hardly anyone noticed. Brits now trust Wikipedia, the crowd sourced online encyclopedia, more than the mighty BBC, the independent, professional, national media outlet. A YouGov poll of almost 2,000 British adults found 64 per cent trust Wikipedia entries to tell the truth "a great deal" or "a fair amount"; compared to 61 per cent for Auntie. (Journalists on tabloids came in at only 13 per cent).
On one level, this is a remarkable coup for Wikipedia. At "Wikimania", the annual conference of Wikipedians – the small army of honourable people who give up their time to audit and check entries – which took place in London over the weekend, Jimmy Wales announced the stunning result to cheers from hundreds of delighted devotees. ‘The project’, as Wikimedians call it, had finally done it! Well, almost. Wikipedia isn’t quite as trusted as the the venerable old master. Yet. "I'm not going to rest until they trust us more than they ever trusted Encyclopaedia Britannica in the past," Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales told the crowd.
Read More Here
2 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Out with BBC and in with Wikipedia

I trust Wikipedia to ignore copyright whenever it suits them, especially if it's not an American they are stealing content from.  The National Gallery (I think it was, sorry, memory isn't what it was) complained that someone took all their images from their website (bypassing the protection) and uploaded them to Wikipedia, remember, this is a British organisation, so Wikipedia used US law to claim all the images were public domain and it could use them however it liked.
More recently was the monkey shot, again, claiming the image was public domain.  I don't think Wikipedia has ever removed an image for copyright reasons, they claim either fair use or public domain under US laws, so yeah, trust it about as much as I trust err, something I don't trust much.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Out with BBC and in with Wikipedia

I trust wikipedia to be edited directly by government computers (Hillsborough). Unlike the BBC that reports the gospel truth completely independently of the government (yeah.. right!).
Trust wikipedia? Sure for some things but nothing the government has an interest in.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!