cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of shape (on the drums) Really frustrating!

Community Veteran

Out of shape (on the drums) Really frustrating!

I played in several bands for over 10 years. For almost 4 years now I have not lifted the sticks. I lost interest without a band.
Recently I have been asked to join a band based on videos they seen of me playing live but that was 4 years ago. I have spent the last few days on my Roland electric kit trying to get it back again. I have not forgotton how to play but my arms are just not doing it like they used to. I am only 29 and obviously it will only take a couple of weeks to get back into shape but I have my first jam on Tuesday night with the new band. I am putting a lot of pressure on myself and am concerned that they will be expecting what they seen in the videos. Maybe in a month of solid work. It is really frustrating!
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Out of shape (on the drums) Really frustrating!

If I don't pick my guitar up for a few days it takes me an hour or so to 'loosen up' again.
Have the rest of the band been off the road for a while or are they gigging regularly?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Everyone is late 20's early 30's and I think have been siting around for a few years just writing songs.
It is starting to come back to me now, cannot understand why I ever stopped, loving it apart from the blisters from the sticks!

Keep at it Sean Smiley
I have never played with a band but did a few years as a sound guy.....
So I was also one of those people, like drummers who hang around with musicians Wink Smiley
Community Veteran

LoL. If only I had a penny for every time I heard that one  Grin
I often argued with my previous band that I was the most important member. That is when playing live any single person can make a complete cock up and the song can continue but if the drummer does it the song will fall apart on almost every occasion.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

All the best for Tuesday, Sean. I know how you feel - it's twenty years since I last played a bass, and I've just started again in the last couple of weeks with a borrowed instrument. Can't wait till I get my new Ibanez AGB200 in about ten days.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

I have to pick up my Pearl Export from a friend tomorrow evening who has been storing it for the past 4 years. He is a drummer and had originally borrowed it. I am really praying that it is in the same mint condition it was in last time I saw it!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

4 years... hmmm - fingers crossed  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

certainly in shape.....

What can you say to this...
-BA&feature=related
Community Veteran

Its truly amazing what people can acheive with a disability like that. I suppose it would be possible for any of us but for a fully able bodied person there wouldn't exactly be the same motivation.
Community Veteran

Had my first jam with the new band tonight. It went well. I started ouit very nervous but when I got warmed up and into the songs it all really came back. Looking forward to more jamming and some live playing!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well done Sean, Its a bit like riding a bike, once mastered you never forget...you just get slower, one of the things that bugs me about getting older was that my hands became mildly arthritic, and I am no longer able to play guitar as I did in my 20's and 30's. Really used to get a buzz from playing to a receptive audience, nothing quite like it. Just play for my own amusement nowadays and sometimes not that often so the finger tip's soften-up...the pain! the pain!
Keep it up!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Just a bit of an update. Things are going well. Only had a few jams together so far but things are looking good. Original bass player was very young, only 17 and he didn't really like our style of music as we are all around 30 or more. He left and has been replaced by one of my oldest friends who I played with for years in different bands. That really moved things along tonight as we always worked really well together.
I have set up a shared FTP folder on my server and the guys have been flooding it with new original material to which I have been playing to on my Roland V-Drums in my spare time.
Everyone is very positive and motivated. I have even started on a website.
I cannot wait to get enough material together to play live. I don't care if it is only to 10 people in the local pub, I didn't realize how much I have missed the whole band thing for the passed 4 years!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Petlew
Really used to get a buzz from playing to a receptive audience, nothing quite like it.

Yep, it's the best legal high there is.  Smiley