Out of Context

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Out of Context

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Out of Context

Not just bike thieves, but all thieves should be shot, Texas has it right, a trespasser steps on your property, you have the legal right to shoot them dead, and it works, nobody in their right mind commits crime there unless they're out-of-staters who didn't know such a law exists, which they find out about just before the hollowpoints make impact on their bodies... Smiley

Over here, the innocent get blamed, "Well, you shouldn't have left it so unsecure", as if it's somehow our fault, and when they do get caught, it's slap-on-the-wrist and "Now don't do it again, here's a lollipop, now go home!", not tough enough and more of a reward than a punishment, just look at the mockery made about ASBOs, they were used like some trophy thing that had to be acquired to gain some sort of status, so they worked about as effectively as putting out a fire with petrol... Crazy2

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Have you got that right?

As I understood it you can only use lethal force if you are defending yourself not your property and not far removed from the UK I suspect in that technically trespass in itself in not illegal.

Here in Wales you can only shoot somebody dead if they are English but you must use a longbow.... so it's probably quite an old law. Other than that you can recite 'The Four Branches of the Mabiniog' to them in Welsh until they die of boredom or beg for mercy and promise never ever to come back.  

Bring back the stocks I say and make them watch Jeremy Kyle 24/7 for a week. Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Have you got that right?

As I understood it you can only use lethal force if you are defending yourself not your property and not far removed from the UK I suspect in that technically trespass in itself in not illegal.

Yep, definitely got it right, I have a friend who lives in Texas and has told me about the law many times, and cases where out-of-staters tried to go on a crime spree in Texas only to end up going back home in a coffin, it's referred to as the "Make my day" law, but is called the Castle Doctrine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

Minivanman
Hero

Well I had a quick look at that and it does read to me at least that you cannot just shoot and kill somebody regardless.

Little doubt that it does happen and they will use the "imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm" as a defence - for who is to say otherwise? Certainly not the guy who just got blasted with a .44 Magnum.

Puts me in mind of those man traps landowners used to use here. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Well, the thing my Texan friend always states is you have to make sure they're dead, then that way they, the recipient of lead poisoning, can't argue that they were there for some other reason and land you in trouble for shooting them, but, if they have no business being there, then they shouldn't have been there in the first place... Smiley

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman  I haven't looked it up but as I understand it trespass in itself isn't illegal in England but aggravated trespass became a criminal offence fairly recently.  What constitutes aggravation is something for the lawyers to get rich on.  And don't get me started on "reasonable force".

nanotm
Pro

@Jonpe

reasonable force is the minimum amount to ensure the safety of those within, to me that should always permit restrained lethality but you know handwringers don't like that idea because its too black and white/

(restrained is you hit them enough to make them go down but not more than that, of course some times the methaddict will require a lot of hits to actually go down)

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you