cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our faithful Toaster is.......... toast.

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

Our faithful Toaster is.......... toast.

Bought on offer last year, just £5 each, bought four.

Currently priced at £25 each on Amazon.

Goodmans Toaster.jpg

Excellent toaster, performed brilliantly several times daily for a year.

Then, disaster struck.......

After a year of self isolation in the kitchen...... it stopped working.

So, into the store cupboard, and out came another one.

(I was in the Scouts)

Celebrated with a round of Toast and a drink.

Mundane, yes I know, but so essential.

(No chance of buying another Toaster a.t.m. perhaps not classed as essential, but in our home, it most definitely is)

And being on Electric for cooking, no delicious gas grilled Toast standby!

Going to celebrate later with Beans on Toast.

Twice !

13 REPLIES 13
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Our faithful Toaster is.......... toast.

Pretty poor going if it died after a year, current toaster in this house is a Schneider one bought in Asda in something like 2004 or 2005, and was to be thrown out a couple years later cos it wasn't latching down any more due to user error (the mother's ex was a pillock, one of them "Blame the tool, not the worker" types), I took it home, gave it a good hard slam on the pushy-downy thing, it got the message and latched properly, and it's worked fine ever since...

And that's from a cheapo brand too!!!

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Lægen wrote:

Bought on offer last year, just £5 each, bought four.

Roll_eyes   Panic Buying  ? ? ? Shocked

Bulk Buying.? ? ? ?.... thus creating a national shortage, then the poor people cannot buy them...

Hoarding ? ? ? ? 

Did he know about COVID19 before anyone else, I ask you   ? ? ?  Undecided

Perhaps he has secret contacts  Cool  via Hong Kong... Cool

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Dualit toaster is now more than 20 years old. I did have to replace the timer (£10 from eBay and 5 minutes to fit), but apart from that it has been problem free and is still going strong. And rather better for the environment than the sort of disposable toasters that some seem to like.

9F7288C8-A8B9-4F24-8B27-DE12AC13A4EE.jpeg

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My toaster came out of the pile the students next door left when they moved out. A quick clean and it looked like new.

Trouble is I hardly ever use it, may be a couple of times. Prefer toast from my gas cookers high grill.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, yes, @billnotben, an eye level gas grill is almost the final word for both quality and convenience as far as toast is concerned, beaten on both counts only by an Aga.

D860C350-6C78-4E1B-A713-32E25B9296AC.jpeg

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

A tad expensive to flash up your aga to cooking heat... just for some toast ! !  Grin

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Anonymous 

Dualit toaster lasting 20 years....you are lucky.

No idea if they are made by the same company or made in the same way but we purchased one as did our daughter and it lasted.....approx 2 years....

Guess I could have got 20 years out of it.....providing we only had toast once a year.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gleneagles 

Wow, that’s not good! Did you get yours fairly recently? Maybe they (like so many things) aren’t made like they used to be?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter wrote:

A tad expensive to flash up your aga to cooking heat... just for some toast ! !  Grin

Ah, yes @shutter, cost is another matter altogether. And much as l like it, I certainly wouldn’t suggest having an Aga installed just for its toast making abilities! 

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I feel your loss @Lægen need my toast every day. My cheap and nasty toaster (cost about a tenner from Tesco) will soon be coming up to its 10th birthday. Still works as good as the day it was bought. Ok, the spring to bring it back up is getting a little bit lazy but does me.

Doesn't seem to be any problems getting stuff delivered when bought online. I'm still trying to work out though why they act as if what they have brought to my front door is unexploded ordnance.

They put it down by the door, ring the bell and ..........RUN!  😅

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Bought my Tefal toaster in 1983 and used it regularly (although mainly in the cooler months) until about 2005.  It still works but having put Pop Tarts (remember them?) in it a few times, the bread sometimes gets stuck.  The toaster is unusual in that it takes two slices end to end, not side by side, and it is called THICK 'N' THIN because it adjusts to the thickness of the slices.  I don't seem to be making toast much anymore, and when I last looked in John Lewis I couldn't find a toaster I liked at a reasonable price.

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

We went a bit overboard in the early lock down days, and froze two sliced loaves, in slices, in plastic food boxes, 4 slices per box, before restrictions came in.

(We did also purchase a small table top freezer, last year, before CV was an issue)

The freezer was quite empty at the time, we filled it with Bread, now that the panic buying appears to have stopped, at least in our local Tesco, it's time to relax Bread freezing, we miss batch cooking & freezing.

And the variety this brings.

No limit on Bread purchases now, being an essential item......

And of course, freezing batch cooked & shop bought items makes better economic sense, than just freezing Bread.

Which is what we used to do!

But....

We do love our Toast.

Now we just buy enough bread to last until the next home delivery.

And we don't have to ration toast !

nor butties.

Just a couple of loaves in Freezer, on standby.

The quality of our meals has also improved, back to pre CV

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Got a toaster in the garage that we used to have in the kitchen years ago. Nothing wrong with it other than you have to lay slices on their side . Anyhow the missus wanted it gone and replaced so now I keep it out there as a hand and tool heater for winter when doing car repairs.

Works a treat..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!