Did you mean: 

Our Toaster is Toast after 16 years....

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Our Toaster is Toast after 16 years....

Carlton Toaster bought from Currys in 1999
Daily use, so that's around 12,000 slices of bread / toast
It still works, but more often these days we end up opening a kitchen window to let the smoke out !
The temperature / time control has little effect.
Toaster is regularly cleaned, and interior toast crumbs deposited in bin.
Fortunately, we bought a spare Toaster, in 2012, so that will now be pressed into service...
We've got an AGA, but personally we don't like AGA toast
Do you have any long serving small kitchen white goods ?
Our electric kettles seem to last around 2 years, in use several times every day...
Soft water area, so no furring up.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Out Toaster is Toast after 16 years....

Long-serving large item - a 14cu ft chest freezer from the 1970's still working.  Shocked
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Magimix food processor - wedding present (197Cool
launton
Grafter

1984 Sharp microwave. I can't believe it's still working
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We have an old Belling electric cooker - 3 rings, grill underneath (never used lol) small oven under that which is a bit tricky to use.. must be 30-40 years old lol but you just cannot kill them. They're not the nicest looking of cookers but they're indestructible!
I'm not going to mention the other kitchen appliance as i know my luck and with 7up jnr around now i can't risk that going belly up lol but yes we do have another appliance that was bought second hand around 7.5 years ago that just keeps on going. It's one of those non complicated appliances that just gets on with it. The missus once managed to crack a glass component on it.. we thought it's days were numbered but continued using it.. a month later the crack had vanished - completely  Shocked
As for toasters, our old one became a bit of a hassle as it wouldn't toast full height slices of bread (whats with that these days?) and so they've have to be squeezed in on their sides. These days toaster makers seem to use the full height thing as a selling feature... anyway the old toaster now resides in the shed as an electric hand warmer for winter car work lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We had a Toshiba microwave that recently packed up which we purchased in 1982.
It was used every day and never serviced or broke down, to be honest I preferred it to the panasonic which replaced it.
Community Veteran

Urgh.. Panasonic.. the company that used to make cheap budget batteries that had a lifespan shorter than the cheap batteries from the market  Grin
We made the mistake of purchasing one of their Vierra plasma TVs. Looks nice enough but the picture quality isn't great with all the eyes that don'e move in time with the rest of someones face etc. Certainly not a company i'll be bothering with again..
Community Veteran

Several years ago we replaced our fridge/freezer which we had for 17 years, when buying the replacement the salesman was amazed it had lasted that long as the average life of the current range is 5 to 7 years, remains to be seen if that is true or not.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Urgh.. Panasonic.. the company that used to make cheap budget batteries that had a lifespan shorter than the cheap batteries from the market  Grin
We made the mistake of purchasing one of their Vierra plasma TVs. Looks nice enough but the picture quality isn't great with all the eyes that don'e move in time with the rest of someones face etc. Certainly not a company i'll be bothering with again..
Surprised you bought a plasma tv .I always thought they cost more to run and reflected light badly unlike a led tv.
(sorry  for going off topic)
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Several years ago we replaced our fridge/freezer which we had for 17 years
Our last one survived from 30 years in the kitchen, 1980 to 2010; a Philips bought in John Lewis.
Only replaced it because it was getting a bit noisy and several bits of shelving/supports were damaged.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

we had a beko upright freezer which survived 14 house moves before dying of damaged radiator when it was moved for cleaning after 16 years (we got it the week our eldest was born)
other longish surviving appliances would be a microwave which we acquired when we got married it was one of those late seventies things and only got replaced in 2005 when a removals team dropped it 6 floors when one of them tried to balance it on the metal railings of the stairs whilst waiting for the lift , it wasn't the only thing they destroyed that day but it was the oldest ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

HotPoint Liberator Tumble Drier, now over 30 yeas old, only changed the drive belts 2 years ago when one wore out, the smaller one was included in the pack so it went in while the back was off! at this rate it will see us out!
Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Kirby Dual Sanitronic 80 vacuum cleaner, built sometime between 1967 and 1970, working perfectly (even if it needs 120 Volts) in 2015... Grin
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

the old toaster now resides in the shed as an electric hand warmer for winter car work lol.

What an excellent idea, thanks
I'm going to do that too with the old toaster....
I'll be " Warm as Toast "
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Surprised you bought a plasma tv .I always thought they cost more to run and reflected light badly unlike a led tv.
(sorry  for going off topic)

Didn't give it much thought at the time, besides it was the missus who took a shine to that model lol.. bl**dy thing.. lol
Quote from: PlusComUK
the old toaster now resides in the shed as an electric hand warmer for winter car work lol.

What an excellent idea, thanks
I'm going to do that too with the old toaster....
I'll be " Warm as Toast "

No worries.. if we ever meet you can buy me a drink... 7up of course Wink