cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Accounts Remodelled

Highlighted
Hooked

Our Accounts Remodelled

Did anyone in PlusNet think before inflicting a compulsory ADOBE reader on every customer who wants to read his account statements? I have had a perfectly good PDF reader for years and resent the space Adobe Reader now occupies as well as the 15 minutes it took to download and install.

I am still angry but as I cool down I'm starting to wonder why.

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 43

Re: Our Accounts Remodelled

@cooltona You did not have to install Adobe, that was a bald, badly thought out 'suggestion' by Plusnet. Any PDF reader would handle the reading/display of the bill, so you can remove Adobe and use whatever you did previously. Out of interest what was/is it?

John
Highlighted
Hooked

Unfortunately there was no alternative on offer.

Unfortunately one's default PDF reader was not activated by a click on the account date/title.

My preferred reader is Tracker Software's PDF-XChange viewer.

Highlighted
Hero

Weird - I use Sumatra PDF, and that handled it with no problem.Huh

John
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cooltona - You have to make sure that the .PDF file extension is registered to open with your application. Doing this depends on your OS, but if you have Windows you can do this via the context menu (right click on a file).

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I thought FIrefox had a PDF reader  ......  ????Huh

Highlighted
Hero

@shutter It does, but as I have a lot of .PDF files which were created prior to FF having a reader, I have had Sumatra for a long time, and that is set as the default application.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@jab1  Although a "general" comment.../ query....  I was "kinda" aiming it at the O.P. @cooltona  so he would not need to use Adobe.....

Highlighted
Hero

Understand, @shutter, but if s/he uses another browser......................?Smiley

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@jab1 they could install Firefox  ! ! !   Cheesy

Highlighted
Community Veteran

When I saved my last bill, it was saved without the .pdf extension.

When I added this manually it opened without an issue.

This may be a possible cause of the OP's issue. I use Firefox by the way.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine saves as $STANDARD and when renamed as @picbits suggest opens using the correct application. The naming convention used here implies to me that this is a place holder that isn't being handled correctly, but I'm assuming that the development team are aware of this. Maybe what they want is ${STANDARD} Wink

Highlighted
Hero

Just as an experiment, I have just opened my one and only bill in the new format, by clicking on the 'bill value' and that opened instantly in SumatraPDF, but with the 'name' of 'STANDARD'. To save it with an understandable title, I merely renamed it using the 'Save as' option.

I have to do this for quite a number of bills and other .PDF files I wish to keep locally, as I'm sure others do.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This may help? https://www.pdfpro.co/pdf-viewer  view a pdf file online through your browser.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Hooked

Great! Just put the proper filename on our account statements and our default PDF readers will find them OK.

Then the suckers like me who didn't do anything except what PlusNet told them to do can just delete the offending ADOBE Acrobat Reader DC they have needlessly installed?

Would you believe "just deleting" won't happen under the Windows 10 operating system - not without a lot of trouble and some risk anyway. In 40+ years of using commercial PC applications I have never seen anything quite like this OUTRAGEOUS situation. 

To uninstall this beast you have first to go to the ADOBE website and download their "cleaner program" called  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html  which your default browser may advise you is unsafe to run - as my browser does.

That .html is a four-page set of confusing instructions which then dares you to sign away your security with this cheerful farewell:: "By downloading the software listed below,

I'm scared.