cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ouch! Now I didn’t see that coming.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

Ouch! Now I didn’t see that coming.

For those that don’t already know I don’t play shoot-em up type of games or indeed anything that requires me to move at speed through the game’s environment as it makes me ill. In fact the only game I have on my PS4 Pro is ‘The Vanishing of Ethan Carter’ and on the iPad it’s things like ‘The Room’ and the Forever Lost series, but I digress.

But based on a recommendation I bought a game for my iPad called ‘The House of Da Vinci’ and yesterday after lunch I thought I’d return to it and have a ‘quick play’, but the next thing I know, I’m turning on the lamp as it’s dark!

Without realising it I’d burned about 4 hours of my life playing this, yet it seemed to me that it had only been half an hour or just over that I’d been playing, I don’t know about the more serious gamers here but to me that’s scary.

So the next time I play I’m going to set an alarm for an hour, just in case.

18 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Ouch! Now I didn’t see that coming.

Well i suppose i am the ancient gamer ,and yes its so easy to get lost with the time Wink

Most nights i am on my FPS game for 2-3 hours , as Swimbo has her soaps on the TV , but its not just the game we have a Teamspeak server  and regularly have 6 - 8 friends who come on for a chat and a game Smiley its like going to the Pub but from your own home Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Well @rongtw, if you're the 'Ancient Gamer' would that make @shutter the 'Ancient Mariner' Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Thats the effect the internet has on me in general. I don't need games to lose hours of my life, just check my email and a few forums and half the flaming day has gone...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Same here @7up  

duty_calls

Remeber you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Yup, that sums up things a bit lol. I'm a terrible emailer though, i can write emails of biblical length. Last year i joined faceache and have a mild addiction to that now too. People do post a lot of interesting content - videos etc. I'm on several groups (all tech related mainly) and the stuff that you see posted is incredible compared to what you'll find on slashdot, google and the like.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@Mook

Full agree it's an excellent game.

The next version of the room was due out before christmas but got delayed for some reason so the company may not be too pleased that Da vinci has stolen a lead on them, we need far more games along these lines.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Mook wrote:

Well @rongtw, if you're the 'Ancient Gamer' would that make @shutter the 'Ancient Mariner' Funny

Yup !... and still using the ancient art of the original digital communication !  ( Thanks Sam..... ) Smiley

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@shutter

So what happened to those signalling flag thingies?...Ebay?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I was a "sparker" or " sparks"   and we did not use flags....  ( although we were given a brief insight into them during training )

.. the "bunting tossers" used semaphore flags and flaghoists, to pass visual messages between ships...

unfortunately, we don`t have enough ships to sail " in company "... or as a "squadron" or even enough to make up a "fleet"... so bunting tossing has probably died completely... although single ships will still hoist their callsign and penant numbers on entering and leaving port.. ( probably cos it looks nice !  - rather than anyone will be able to read/understand them ! ! ! !) Roll eyes.

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:
although single ships will still hoist their callsign and penant numbers on entering and leaving port.. .

Ah! So they're not drying the towels then. Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Games like those are known as "Time Vampires", they suck you in and steal your day away, and before you know it, it's 3am and 4 days later... Crazy

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke

Biggest time vampire was going to work........It sucks your time in.....and when it's finished with you, you are suddenly to old to do anything...or too poor !

Where has your life gone....

Embarrassed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The 1960s vision of a work-free life from everything being automated hasn't come true, that's a given, but when you do have too much time on your hands, you find life can be just as tedious... Grin

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Games like those are known as "Time Vampires",

What a very apt description.