cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other sports

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Other sports

Leaving aside the somewhat controversial sport of F1 for the other thread. What sports have you actively participated in throughout your lives?
At school, I was very well built as a 14/15 year old in a body-building sort of way, for which I did nothing to acquire at all but. It made me a choice for all those strong-arm sports; discus, javelin, shot putt (we weren't allowed the hammer) and was a quite good sprinter, but I was built for short burst explosive power not stamina, anything over 400yards (then) and I was suffering.
In later life I played squash and badminton at county level, club table tennis, and tried archery (not very good) but the sport I found that needed the greatest level of personal fitness was fencing...golly that's hard work!!
Edit: Oh yes, Sunday club cricket (where I was often relegated to scorer) and now of course bowls.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Other sports

At school, we had the choice of football or rugby, in the winter, and cricket, or rounders in summer.
I chose rugby..... no I wasn`t built like the proverbial outside loo, and I couldn`t run very fast, I was a skinny sort of kid...  Undecided
Why rugby? well there were only 4 others who wanted to play, so we never had a team, and consequently we just messed about.!    Grin
Cricket,  I enjoyed watching, and eventually got roped in as a scorer....(anything for an easy life !)....  Cheesy
Not had any interest in either as a participant, but do very occasionally watch about 15 minutes of rugby until it gets boring..... Undecided
football is totally boring, so never watch it.
All other sports are total energy users, and as I an environmental sort of guy, I save as much as possible. ! ! !  Cheesy
James
Grafter

At school: Rugby, Cricket, Hockey.
Outside of school: Football, Cricket, Squash, Tennis, Golf, Pool, amongst others.
Fixes: 105

At school played badminton (City schools level), football, cricket and did a lot of mountain biking - raced for a season.
Since school I played mainly football and cricket whilst living in the smoke then when i moved out to no mans land (the midlands) I played football until 2 years ago when I dislocated my knee / knee cap and mushed it up.
Docs have just allowed me to start doing some light stuff, yesterday been the most i'd done riding to the train station and back. I was pooped.
But no more football  Cry
Will Moderate For Thanks
jmd
Grafter

Hated sport at school especially netball.  Since leaving school played badminton for some years but gave up when sprained ankle about 20 yrs ago!  Enjoy walking but no further than 5 miles! Smiley
Will watch tennis with some enjoyment but not enthusiasm................ quite like watching athletics.  Makes me feel guilty that I am not fit! Sad
Community Veteran

@ jmdlp, I have a bit of an issue about professional tennis; I once sat through a men's Wimbledon final on the box, with a stop watch, in an attempt to gather how much time the players actually spent playing tennis, as opposed to walking around, girding up for a service, using obvious gamesmanship, sitting at the chairs, arguing with the umpire, going off for loo breaks etc. etc. I forget who or when the the match was, I vaguely recall Pete Sampras was one player, but of the nearly 3 hours the match took, they only spent around 50 minutes in short spurts actually playing the game. Compare this with non-pro club squash or badminton etc. where inter club matches can go on for far longer and be continuous in play, and frankly, the standard of play and in particular the sportsmanship can be far higher. The pay though is non-existent.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Running was my sport of choice at school as I was quite good at it being tall and thin.
Track or cross country I didn't mind as long as I was near the front. Smiley
In winter I had to do some football but usually spent the time near the sideline shivering in shorts and shirt. Cry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

Running was my sport of choice at school as I was quite good at it being tall and thin.

I have nothing but admiration for those slim wonders who can run at a constant pace for mile after mile without apparently getting breathless, I simply was never able to do it...can't watch it for long though.

I once ran into a tree while talking to a friend behind me during a cross country run...only once though Wink

Edit: The tree was fine. Came out of it without a scratch.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I wondered why you are always holding your chin, is that to hide the scar?
Community Veteran

I wasn't that interested in sport at school but now play tennis two or three times a week.
Looking forward to going to Wimbledon in a few weeks - hope it doesn't rain  Wink Wink
N/A

I play quite a bit of golf. We used to play 5-a-side football after work on Fridays, but I suffer with a knee injury and another guy has a bad back.
Golf is a lot less taxing physically whilst still being a decent source of exercise and fresh air.

I once broke a bone in my hand playing *touch* rugby at school. Never got injured playing the real thing though. Used to love hockey, basketball and badminton too.

Quote from: artmo
I wasn't that interested in sport at school but now play tennis two or three times a week.
Looking forward to going to Wimbledon in a few weeks

Congratulations and good luck Wink
Fixes: 105

Ohhh will we be able to see you on telly? What court are you playing on?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Looking forward to going to Wimbledon in a few weeks

Are you that good then?  Wow.... Britain`s got (hidden) talent !  Roll eyes