cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oskar's insider tips for getting the help you need!

TheGhostOfOskar
Dabbler

Oskar's insider tips for getting the help you need!

So, having worked in the social media team for around 18 months, until December, I thought I'd share my top tips for getting the help you need!

I've written this to try and educate, not to have a dig at any users and so please try not to see it that way - It's come from a genuine desire to help.

1) Get to the point - You don't need to write a novel full of sarcasm and vitriol to get help - Just ask for it. Describe your problem as succinctly as you can and be sure to include all of the trouble shooting steps you've already taken. It makes the guys jobs a lot easier when they don't have to wade through paragraphs of irrelevant info just to find the bare bones of the problem. It also saves you frustration of being told to do stuff you've already done.

2) Understand that the staff operating on the forum are advisors. - They're not stakeholders or decision makers and can't effect the changes you think PN should implement. What they can do, is fix your billing and tech issues, if given the chance.

3) Remember that the staff are human. - If they make an error or forget something, they haven't maliciously lied to you just to annoy you, they're human and mistakes happen. From experience I can tell you that every single member of Team Sosh is hella passionate about helping customers - Give them a chance to rectify the issue before you kick off and you'll more than likely be pleasantly surprised.

4) Bear in mind that Rome wasn't built in a day. - Demanding your issue be fixed and setting a random deadline or you'll take whatever action isn't going to get your issue fixed. Openreach engineering SLA's are ridiculous and wasting 5 posts disputing that with the advisors isn't going to change that. They want your issue fixed as much as you do.

5) Take off your tinfoil hat! - This is probably the biggest one. The staff don't want to get abuse all day, so why would they delibritely slow your speed 'surprisingly as soon as you're out of contract'? They wouldn't, that'd be stupid. Nobody at PN is conspiring to make your Netflix or gaming life (it's ALWAYS gamers) a misery - As mentioned before, they want to help you, you just have to get down to working with them to fix it, not throw threats of action and accusations of impropriety around.

6) Do the troubleshooting - You don't KNOW that your equipment isn't at fault until you've actually done the troubleshooting to prove it. Staff can see when you haven't actually changed your wireless settings, or haven't disconnected to access the test socket. In not doing it, you're setting yourselves up to pay the engineering fee should the problem turn out to be at your end!

And finally,

7) Utilise the SuperUsers - Seriously. These guys (and gals) eat, sleep and breathe tech and internet services. They're one of the strongest assets here on the Community and and their knowledge is unbelievably comprehensive. They're here, working for free, so that they can utilise their passions to help you. Make sure to listen to them!

I hope this helps at least someone get their issue fixed Smiley
17 REPLIES 17
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Oskar's insider tips for getting the help you need!

@TheGhostOfOskar 

And you were polite enough not to mention the cause of a probably significant number of users 'problems' - 'PEBCAK' !!!  Thumbs_Up

TheGhostOfOskar
Dabbler

Ahahaha. That would've been in my 'This is me having a dig' post.

But alas, nope, no mention of the techies' bane!
198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 17

@TheGhostOfOskar   Nail on head - eloquently expressed.

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires an algorithm.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

@TheGhostOfOskar 

All of your post makes sense...... except...

You have to be able to get in contact with someone first....

not everyone is on twitface  nor should they be forced to be, because of terrible phone waiting times, and removal of the ticket system,.... and .. Live Chat for disabled customers.  ( an others, too )

Community Veteran

@TheGhostOfOskar  Thank you. Some very sensible points you've made.

Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

@TheGhostOfOskar wrote:

6) Do the troubleshooting - You don't KNOW that your equipment isn't at fault until you've actually done the troubleshooting to prove it. Staff can see when you haven't actually changed your wireless settings, or haven't disconnected to access the test socket. In not doing it, you're setting yourselves up to pay the engineering fee should the problem turn out to be at your end!

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell if the wireless settings have been changed? Not everyone has a PN router and wireless settings are a integral setting. I wouldn't have thought all PN routers report every setting back either do they? Surely that could be a data protection issue?

Like the rest of the guide though 😁

TheGhostOfOskar
Dabbler

Fully get the point about wait times!

Of course, the wireless setting bit is a little ambiguous i'l edit after work today Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@TheGhostOfOskar 

I think you can understand some customers annoyance when it comes to billing problems with the same issues coming up on a regular basis, of course PN staff will do what they can to sort the individual problem but the frustration is the lack of liaison between the decision makers and front line staff with billing issues.

This is not a criticism of your post which contains very sensible and helpful advice.

Simply an observation.

😀

TheGhostOfOskar
Dabbler

Totally get what you're saying bud Smiley

And totally get the frustration with billing and lack of comms. I lived the billing debacle at PN for 18 months and for a year at the employer before that, Origin Broadband.

I can assure you, though, that the guys on here absolutely will do everything they can to make your life easier - They're Customer Advocates - The top advisor level position in the company and even without me have over 60 years combined experience.

They are the guys that can help (when they're briefed by the decisiom makers!)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 113

@shutter wrote:

@TheGhostOfOskar 

You have to be able to get in contact with someone first....

not everyone is on twitface  nor should they be forced to be, because of terrible phone waiting times, and removal of the ticket system,.... and .. Live Chat for disabled customers.  ( an others, too )

You can contact people here though, via text and remember any customers that need one can have a ticket opened our end by one of the team, the customer can then respond to it.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Community Veteran

OK @JonoH   forgive me if I seem a bit flummoxed...

@JonoH wrote:

You can contact people here though, via text and remember any customers that need one can have a ticket opened our end by one of the team, the customer can then respond to it.

Who are " the team " ... Where is the list of   " the team " ... to be able to contact them... do members of  "the team"

Presumably ...by PM ? 

And...once contacted, and  "a ticket opened"    your end... by one of  " the team "...

how and where does the customer access, read, respond to said ticket that has been opened for them..

all seems to be a bit "longwinded"... compared to the original ticketing system...

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 845

@shutter I believe a list of the social media/community team can be found in the forum rules here: Here Wink

As per those rules, unsolicited PMs may not always be responded to as the adviser who receives the PM may not be in the office however if you create a thread in this category: https://community.plus.net/t5/Help-with-my-Plusnet-services/ct-p/Help it will be pulled through into our workstream and somebody will get back to you as soon as possible. 

When we create a ticket on your account you'd view and reply to this in the exact same way were you to open a ticket yourself. You'd login to your account and go to the Manage Account tab then click on the link labelled Help Assistant.

If you want to discuss something solely privately with us then your options are to call us through NGT or message us on Facebook or Twitter. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

@Gandalf  Thank you for the reply... and for the link... I am sure that will be sufficient for my needs in the future..

I have no desire to be enslaved to either Twitter, or Facebook.

And NGT will be unavailable to me,due to circumstances already discussed in the Live Chat  is dead, thread.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 113

Simply post in any of our support boards what your issue is and a member of staff (the team) will assist. If it requires a ticket to be raised they'll raise one and you'll be able to view and reply to it via the member centre, just like the old ticketing system, because it is the old ticketing system. the difference is we can open a ticket about anything and you'll be free to respond to it. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager