Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original or Photocopy.

Fixes: 47

Original or Photocopy.

This prompted my post.
Quote from: AndyH
asked me to resend the form because they said it looked like a photocopy (even though it had been filled in with a ballpoint blue pen!).

I used to send export documents to a customer who insisted on originals.
With modern colour photocopiers a copy can be indistinguishable from the original
They did on occasions received a photocopy from us with no problems as we were reluctant to part with the original.
Years ago a photocopy was black and white and some overseas companies still seem to believe this to be the case.
If the original document has a watermark in the paper that may be a different situation.
As an aside it can be worrying sometimes when a company asks for an original personal document and you hope you get it back but can never be sure Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Original or Photocopy.

Photocopies or digital (soft) copies are perfectly acceptable in a court of law, so there is no reason behind requiring originals in a lot of areas of business/life.
I can understand in areas where there is a possibility of fraud (so passports/driving licences/anything financial etc.) then originals should be requested and required.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

IIRC if it requires a signature then that at least must be an original even if the rest of the form is a photocopy (mainly for contracts)
many is the time I have photocopied documents and then filled out the signature block before sending them off so the sly gits ant print out revised t+c's on the back page after receipt of it and claim I must of known about it in the first place .....yes I got caught out by someone doing this many years ago in an insewerants company
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
IIRC if it requires a signature then that at least must be an original even if the rest of the form is a photocopy (mainly for contracts)

No....this is not the case. I've signed plenty of contracts and sent the contracts electronically (if they ask for the originals, then I am happy to send them). I also have had High Court claims signed and faxed - the court accepted them with no problem.
kmilburn
Grafter

You get a similar problem with some companies wanting an original copy, but not accepting a printed copy, of a document that was sent electronically.  Roll eyes
Quote from: Strat
As an aside it can be worrying sometimes when a company asks for an original personal document and you hope you get it back but can never be sure Undecided

If you do have to send the originals (e.g. driving license), it's always best to take a copy of it first,  just in case! (especially with DVLA)
Fixes: 125

Quote from: kmilburn
If you do have to send the originals (e.g. driving license), it's always best to take a copy of it first,  just in case! (especially with DVLA)

And send by registered post.
Sometimes a company will accept a certified copy signed by a teacher, policeman or one of many other from a list. Often there's a neighbour who fits one of those descriptions who'll do it for the price of a drink. Certainly cheaper than going to your GP or a solicitor.
A lot of forms I get these days I scan to PDF, fill out on the computer (my handwriting is atrocious) and I place a digital copy (masked GIF) in the relevant box and either email or print and post. Never had one returned or any complaints - yet Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

By the way....
[Pedant Mode]
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120068
[/Pedant Mode]
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
BryanP
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: kmilburn

And send by registered post.
Sometimes a company will accept a certified copy signed by a teacher, policeman or one of many other from a list. Often there's a neighbour who fits one of those descriptions who'll do it for the price of a drink. Certainly cheaper than going to your GP or a solicitor.
A lot of forms I get these days I scan to PDF, fill out on the computer (my handwriting is atrocious) and I place a digital copy (masked GIF) in the relevant box and either email or print and post. Never had one returned or any complaints - yet Roll eyes

I certify copies at least once a week, most company's will accept a certified copy provided the signature is a wet copy ( not a photocopy)
With regard to a colour copy this is not normally allowed as proof because for items like a passport and driving licence to copy in colour you are breaching copyright rules therefore only black and white is acceptable, don't shoot me I only follow the rules