cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organ donation

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Organ donation

The Welsh Assembly has taken steps so that the option will be to opt-out of organ donation rather than the usual opt-in, in the rest of the country.
For me this is a no brainer, if I've got anything useful that can be used by others I'm certainly not going to need them. I've carried a Donor Card since they were first introduced, I've seen or heard nothing since to make me change my mind.
Do you think it will be long before the rest of the country catches up?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
25 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Organ donation

I don't know the answer to your question but I entirely agree with your sentiments.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I certainl do agree that its a good idea however I also see the potential for this to be mis-used too. I wonder how many people on life support will be switched off earlier in order to get their organs for instance and whether rank / status will give you better odds of survival etc.
While I certainly wouldn't be bothered about my organs being used if I died naturally or got killed in an accident etc, I don't think I could trust the authorities to make that decision if I were unable to. Ten years ago and yes I could have easily trusted them but these days with the way everything is about the rich and famous and ensuring that those at the top are looked after, I can't.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@Petlew, I fully agree that we should follow the Welsh example.  There are many people waiting for organs who could have their life saved by such an action.
I also carry a donor card and would hope I may be able to help someone if anything happens to me.  If I remember rightly anyone agreeing to their organs being used are also placed on a central computer that can be referred to in case a donor card isn't available.
Community Veteran

@Sprite, you really do have a jaundiced view of humanity sometimes don't you.
Do you really believe the criteria for organ transplant is how much money you have in the bank? Tissue type, blood group, hundreds of compatibility tests not to mention that the organ register is anonymous until a match is made...the waiting list.
So far the "sale" of body parts for transplant is utterly shunned in the UK and quite rightly too. The rich may well be able to get a transplant done earlier by flashing wads of cash, but it would have to be in another less ethical country. And it still wouldn't guarantee the success of the transplant.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I dislike the notion that the State presumes that it owns your body and can decide how to use it.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Petlew
@Sprite, you really do have a jaundiced view of humanity sometimes don't you.

Not without very good reason.
Do you really believe the criteria for organ transplant is how much money you have in the bank? Tissue type, blood group, hundreds of compatibility tests not to mention that the organ register is anonymous until a match is made...the waiting list.

You are indeed correct that there are many factors involved here however we have millions of people in this country and some very influencial people who speak with fat wallets.
So far the "sale" of body parts for transplant is utterly shunned in the UK and quite rightly too. The rich may well be able to get a transplant done earlier by flashing wads of cash, but it would have to be in another less ethical country. And it still wouldn't guarantee the success of the transplant.

Unfortunately it's easy to end up slipping down a slippery slope though.
I do agree to the use of peoples organs becoming more widespread I just don't like the idea that the state could potentially (note I said potentially and not will definately) allow corruption to creep in.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

For such an important decision I believe people should have been made to decide yay or nay.
Surely it should be (or have been) possible to include the question on (or something similar to) the recent census?
You've had a bad accident, find yourself at deaths door, and wake up in Stafford Hospital. No thanks.
Community Veteran

The question has been asked on driving licence renewal forms for some years.

Community Veteran

Also advertised in most doctors' surgeries Wink
Razer
Grafter

I think the whole notion of presumption like this is objectionable.
Quote from: AlaricAdair
I dislike the notion that the State presumes that it owns your body and can decide how to use it.

Hear, hear! That said, I think the state already does presume that it owns people.
Quote from: billnotben
Surely it should be (or have been) possible to include the question on (or something similar to) the recent census?

And what of those who object to the census and wouldn't fill out such a book anyway?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Razer
And what of those who object to the census and wouldn't fill out such a book anyway?

I believe they get a heavy fine for their objections. Filling in the census isn't optional.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@billnotben, I objected to the census and I did not fill it out, plus I was not fined, I am not going to give all my info to the USA
I can not be an Organ Donor with me having TB and Canser.
itsme
Grafter

Do everyone fill out a census?
Do people renew driving licenses?
Community Veteran

Yes most responsible people Wink