cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organ Donation

Community Veteran

Organ Donation

Funny old world, have been listening to Classic FM for a couple of hour and they had an advert for Organ Donation.
I must have heard of this for years but done nothing - even though I intended to.
But on the spur of the moment today - I found their phone number - phoned to check there's nothing about me that precludes donation - and there isn't so i signed up.
My good deed for the day.
How many here have done it ?
http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Organ Donation

Good idea Mal.  I've been on the organ donor register for some time.  We have people in this country that are dying because of the shortage of organs.  It is amazing what they can do these days with 'spare part' surgery.  Well done for signing up.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hat's off to you mal,I cannot do this as i smoke cigarettes so my organs would be of no use to anyone, shame really, I've indulged a bit too much that perhaps i shouldn't have as theres no need really.
Community Veteran

Not sure about that Steve and anyway it would only affect the heart and lungs if there was a problem.  So many other organs can now be transplanted.
Community Veteran

Just looked on Mal's link and the following organs are suitable: Kidneys, heart, liver, lungs, pancreas and the small bowel can all be transplanted. In addition corneas can also be used.
Community Veteran

I phoned specifically to check on a few things. I gave them my medical background, and there were no restrictions. Luckily I've never smoked, but as Artmo says only the lungs, and maybe heart and blood vessels will be affected ?.
It's worth a call to them to check. Nothing to loose.    0300 123 23 23
Or do it online - it only takes a few minutes.
Come on - lets see how many we can get to sign up ?  Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I use to have a Organ Donation card, but not any more with me having Cancer, I can not even give blood even if I wanted to give blood.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can't remember if you opt in or out but, if you've applied for a card type driving license at any time, you might find you're already on the register. Been an organ donor ever since the scheme was started.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The present method is for opt-in but there is a debate to make it opt-out.  I have nothing against opt-out but can see some of the problems associated with it.  With the new style driving licence is there an opt-out provision?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just had a sift through the link from mal and signed up!!
I don't think it needs an opt-out as it says if you tell the person closest to you if you ever change your mind that thats all they need Smiley
Community Veteran

I would like to see it opt out,
but maybe another option as petlew suggests is that when you apply for a driving license there is an opt out box there.
Sadly many young people killed on the roads, their bodies go to waste.
well done Steve.
Lets hope we get a few more before the thread fades away.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
With the new style driving licence is there an opt-out provision?

Yes - don't tick the box to say you are opting in...
Quote from: steve74
I don't think it needs an opt-out as it says if you tell the person closest to you if you ever change your mind that thats all they need Smiley

On the link provided by Mal, it does say that if you have opted in, your relatives cannot overrule that. (Quote and linky below.)
Quote from: Organ
https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/questions/answers/answers_15.jsp#q42
42 What will happen if my relatives object?
We know that in most cases families will agree to donation if they knew that was their loved one’s wish. If the family, or those closest to the person who has died, object to the donation when the person who has died has given their explicit permission, either by telling relatives, close friends or clinical staff, or by carrying a donor card or registering their wishes on the NHS Organ Donor Register, healthcare professionals will discuss the matter sensitively with them. They will be encouraged to accept the dead person’s wishes and it will be made clear that they do not have the legal right to veto or overrule those wishes. There may, nevertheless, be cases where it would be inappropriate for donation to go ahead.
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

Been in for donkey's!  Cheesy
Lurker
Grafter

What would they transplant from you, into a Donkey?
Do you have large ears perchance?
/runs
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how is it shown on the driving license? as I have a new one and dont remember the tick and cant see any thing on the card or accompling sheet