Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering from ebay

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Ordering from ebay

D'oh, I've done it again!

Placed an order for an item on ebay two weeks back without first checking sender details - realised afterwards it was coming all the way from Whoflungdung in China.

Estimated delivery? 

Monday, 30. Apr 2018 - Thursday, 31. May 2018. 

By the time if and when it gets here, I'd have forgotten what I wanted it for.                                                                                  Buy cheap, and get cheap service I guess. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
49 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Ordering from ebay

@Minivanman

Do not be too hard on yourself, it is not uncommon to see a uk postal address for goods which you only later discover are coming from china.

Community Veteran

Most of the stuff I order from China seems to arrive within a couple of weeks.

The only problem is is when it doesn't arrive as that takes the much longer time to realise.

Generally just cheap stuff. My micro USB leads and wiper blade refills arrived this week.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@happihijabi eh?

No worse than the piddle take of those 'oh so English' double barrel surnames all of whom wear bowler hats and carry an umbrella I suppose. Or how about wee Jock McTavish from Black Adder, or Dai Laughing here in Wales?

Crikey blimey O'Reilly, there are some sad miserable people around that's for sure.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@billnotben

Had that as well, so maybe they are already in stock here.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I have had stuff from China FASTER than stuff from the UK, ITH I have had stuff take over 2 MONTHS to come.
Mostly I am happy to wait, as the item is usually cheaper than just the postage here. (like 25p delivered! try getting a 2nd class stamp for that)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

I`ve been caught by that a couple of times now.... so ..a few things I look for.... first, when doing the initial search ..."filter" it to "UK ONLY"..  (on the left hand side of the listing) 

second,... I check the "estimated delivery date" usually under the horizon below the buy it now stuff.

Third... I check the "Item Location"    and if it says  two or three weeks delivery, and the item location is "UK". I become suspicious. and see if there is a "Business" address at the bottom of the listing...

if not... then I click on the "rating numbers"  ( usually some fantastic number of sales, like 8740 indicates it is a chinese or Hong Kong business)  and see where the sellers address is.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@HairyMcbiker

The other way is to go direct to Aldi's and buy what you want from China in there!

I really don't knock 'em either, their Workzone stuff works well enough and although registered as a German company, at those prices they must be made in China surely? 

Anyways, how many rockets have we here in the UK sent up into space. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ordering from china via ebay is quite hit & miss, sometimes you get your order quickly sometimes it takes weeks, and the rest of the time, it never turns up and you have to get a refund (which in most cases are pretty quick with some sellers over there), just have to be careful of the ones with a long lead time, too long and it could fall outside of the 90 day protection if the order never arrives...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Sounds about right. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The fun part is, when it takes so long that you get a refund, and the thing actually arrived shortly after doing so, happened with a couple of my orders (carburettor for my generator and some LED tape), could be considered dishonest, but then, so can the returns process for damaged/faulty/wrong items sent from china, "Return it to us and we'll replace it", when the cost of return postage would be way more than the item was bought for...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Like finding or being given an extra fiver in your change.

I take the view that I've lost money at times and (knowing for a fact) that I've been short changed so..... what goes around comes around? 

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman wrote:

@HairyMcbiker

Anyways, how many rockets have we here in the UK sent up into space. Thumbs Up

Quite a few through the European Space Agency as it happens.  They are launched from French Guiana though.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Jonpe

But not British rockets, just French although sure we might have had some input especially with regards to the payload. From what I recall the last one we had was called Blue Streak and ditched back in the early 60s?

One things for sure, we seem to be behind just about everybody else in the rocket launch business which is a crying shame you must admit. Cry

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 47

Maybe not rocket science but Scotland has a thriving space industry.

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy