Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering from ebay

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Ordering from ebay

Only forty miles away.

That's why I sometimes hate selling on ebay. Many people expect what they buy to arrive yesterday and ebay only confirms their delusions.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

When I send something I always ask for a proof of postage. That way you are covered up to £30 I think it is.

And it is FREE for a PoP.

Community Veteran

If you sell on ebay one of the main reasons for getting proof of posting is to protect yourself against the £14 or so paypal surcharge in the event of a chargeback. A not so rare event with the ebay of today.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Don't quite a lot of electrical goods come from China anyway?

Whether it be dispatched from the UK or China.

Also, it hasn't happened to me but I know of people where the Royal Mail stick a card through the door basically holding you to ransom. Don't they effectively say "If you want the item there is x to pay".

x being VAT and import duty.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I've only had to pay duty to the PO once, and the PO's fee for collecting it was several times the actual duty payable.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Talking of  which.....

I'm sure I'm finding cheaper, and definitely easier, to buy and print out postage on line,

https://parcel.royalmail.com/orders/quick-delivery/

Community Veteran

I have only once had to pay duty on anything ordered. It was sent as a sample and they charged me £5 duty and £5 for the fee's (UPS).
I think as long as it is <£20 you aren't charged on it.
Community Veteran

I rarely use the PO these days, if I am sending a parcel then it is usually cheaper to use Hermes.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

But don't you have to wait in while they collect?

With PO it's just pack, parcel and drop off. 

Fixes: 337

I've used Collect+ a few times. With over 7000 drop off/collection points it's very convenient.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@minivan no you pack it up, print out a label and drop it off at a shop/garage. I sent several things that way a couple of years ago. And you get full tracking.
Community Veteran

And with many hermes drop off shops there are no queues.

As most are open seven days a week.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Just to add, I was not having a pop at the post office just for the sake of it. I was waiting on a box of wine to be delivered via the Yodel courier service, told the day, and also asked to give them until 9pm. Crikey, what sort of hours to those guys work?

- Anyways, parcel never turned up and was promised it for the next day and nope, never turned up again. Let the sender know and they sent out again postage free with an extra bottle, only this time I had to sign for when it did eventually arrive. 

But back again to those delivery drivers - they must work some God awful hours with their socks off and one of the worst jobs going truth be told.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've had some parcels delivered by the local Hermes guy at around 8pm, usually busy times like christmas, but at least he delivers, very reliable (and hard working!) driver here... Smiley

Yodel, meh, they became the new Citylink, poor service, prone to "losing" things, delivering to the wrong address, signing for things and dumping them by the door without knocking, I'm not keen on Yodel in the slightest...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well we tracked the guy right across to Aberystwyth, down to Fishguard, and then over to Carmarthen - so he must have past near our house twice in two days before arriving on the fourth! 

As said we had to sign for it this time (stuff is usually left in our porch) so whether 'they' thought we were trying it on I don't know.  

And hard working? They certainly are and rather them than me. Tried it once with an agency for a week when I was out of work and it was a nightmare.