Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orange/ EE moving on.....

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Orange/ EE moving on.....

Today I received a text from EE, that my current Orange Tariff would be ending.

It is a legacy tariff, which I have had for many years, (9+) the main advantage being 5 FREE texts a day........ until 2025 !

I am being put on EE 3G in 30 days ! I have no say in this. (No FREE texts)

The calls are currently expensive, at 35p/minute, I have my Virgin 8p a minute tariff for calls..(again another legacy product)

The Orange (and Virgin) are premium numbers..( xxxx 23456)

So I called my old faithful Virgin (20? years), not only was the call answered within 2 rings, but the knowledgable CS agent, after paying £10 top up, supplied me with a new Virgin number, which I can PAC my Orange number across to in a couple of day when the Virgin SIM arrives, but it is also PAYG with no depreciation balance if not used every month, one call every 365 days is all that is required.

I only use Talk & Text on my Mobiles, I get to keep my basic PAYG phones. (O&V)

So, if one company messes me about..... I move

Earlier on today, in the Ofcom thread

@Infinity wrote:

My LRS is due for renewal soon, I'm contemplating not renewing for ease of moving ISP.

Having said that I have had no real Plusnet related problems recently,  and some previous customers appear to have problems cutting the cord.

Is the grass really greener elsewhere ?

12 REPLIES
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Re: Orange/ EE moving on.....

So I called my old faithful Virgin (20? years)

Yes I know !!!!!

Virgin Mobile..

daveplus
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Am I missing something here or is Virgin PAYG really expensive?

My O2 PAYG is 3p per minute for a phone call, 2p for a text and 1p per MB for data.

Fixes: 251

Sounds about right for a legacy (9+ years) pack?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

daveplus
Rising Star

Yes, I guess so.

Community Veteran

That's the same price as an old O2 sim which I occasionally use. 35p call 15p text - never expire sim

I only use it because I found it left in an old phone I picked up. With £120+ credit still on it.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@daveplus wrote:

My O2 PAYG is 3p per minute for a phone call, 2p for a text and 1p per MB for data.

My Three phone has the same tariff....

I tend to use a U.S. based calling chargecard, when at home, or abroad.

Call charges are just 3c to 5c per minute.

(No ridiculous PN per call setup charge !)

Orange/ EE texts are 15p each (AFAICS) (2 x Virgin 8p)

Orange/ EE Calls are 35p / minute (AFAICS) (4 x Virgin 8p)

I am moving, not because of the increased call charges, but because EE have unilaterally changed my tariff, for the worse.

All pales to insignificance when compared to  Satphone costs !! (up to $2 per minute)

idonno
Rising Star

@Infinity wrote:

@daveplus wrote:

My Three phone has the same tariff....

I tend to use a U.S. based calling chargecard, when at home, or abroad.

Call charges are just 3c to 5c per minute.

(No ridiculous PN per call setup charge !)

Orange/ EE texts are 15p each (AFAICS) (2 x Virgin 8p)

Orange/ EE Calls are 35p / minute (AFAICS) (4 x Virgin 8p)

It's where a lot of people are. It doesn't take long to find how much companies charge and what works out cheapest. I remember paying that sort of O2 tariff, years ago. It was even more frightening taking an international call on it at the time... £1 per minute. Just for absently minded answering the call. I could call the UK for less than 2p a minute (yes, international) the other way. One reason I ended up buying a local sim.

But it does depend on how much you use the phone and what it costs you each month. I might pay slightly more than I need to on a monthly tariff but it's a no brainer when I start calling overseas. Viber to Viber, just eats into my data part of the tariff. Cost free, even video calls. So far, I've yet to pay any more than my flat £7.50 a month. As for PN call set up charge, it's just one of the reasons the landline just doesn't get used at all. Far easier to use the mobiles for everything.

I wouldn't want to be paying even 1p a Mb for data either. The wife was using the internet over Christmas (totally forgot), streaming videos from the other side of the world, when I had to disconnect the router. Her phone just swapped to the data part of the package, at 1p Mb. Used £20 worth in just over a couple of hours! Needless to say the phone is packaged differently now.

So shop around! And yes, the grass is usually greener elsewhere but do watch out for cowpats along the way. 

Highlighted
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

The main reason I use PAYG on all my phones is that the liability is limited to the call time credit.

So if the phone is lost, stolen or hacked, no financial worries.

I do not do, nor have it enabled,  Data on my phones, that is what my iMac is for.

Which is behind Firewalls and is constantly monitored for third part intrusion, along with a couple of layers of Virus protection.

The same goes for the rest of the family, businesses too.

If I want to watch video whilst abroad, I just copy onto USB sticks to use in my laptop.

Back to Orange/ EE migration to Virgin Mobile, everything is now setup, just using up outstanding Orange credit first.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Infinity a few suggestions..

Setup a pin on your phone AND sim. If it gets lost, you've still got no financial worries (thought you were minted anyway?). If anyone removes the sim and puts it in another phone they'll need the pin number for it to work. Busted!

Secondly if you're after a cheap but reliable tariff then use Three or ASDA mobile instead. They're the cheapest around for PAYG. ASDA is on the same network as EE so your coverage will be the same.

All this 20p+ a minute malarky is nonsense. Virgin have bever been known for being cheap although their customer service was better in many ways the last time i used them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Thanks.

It never was about the costs these days, though it did matter 9 years ago !

It was the unilateral withdrawal of tariff that annoyed me.

I already have SIM & Phone Pins enabled, but that doesn't help if mugged or phone mislaid whilst the phone is switched on.

I have always found Virgin Mobile to be the best UK based mobile service provider by far.

@7up Thanks for your comments, as always, appreciated.

Personally, and in business we operate many, many mobiles.... every little helps !

Regarding a previous point someone made, whilst abroad we always use at least two local Sim Cards.

Quite often phone to phone, same provider, specially in the US, are free calls, and can also operate in Walkie Talkie mode.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Infinity wrote:

I already have SIM & Phone Pins enabled, but that doesn't help if mugged or phone mislaid whilst the phone is switched on. 

Your previous post specifically mentioned financial worries if the phone was lost or stolen through misuse;

By using a pin on the device itself and the sim you are protected and thus no real need to stick to PAYG in the first place.

Secondly you can always use an app on a smart phone to help you locate it if lost / stolen. I use an app called Tasker which allows you to create custom tasks and i have one setup to reply with the GPS position / link via sms if i send it a text with a keyword.

To be frank, Tasker has had it's day though, Automate is far more user friendly.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

Today I received a text from EE, that my current Orange Tariff would be ending.

It is a legacy tariff, which I have had for many years, (9+) the main advantage being 5 FREE texts a day........ until 2025 !

I am being put on EE 3G in 30 days ! I have no say in this. (No FREE texts)

The calls are currently expensive, at 35p/minute, I have my Virgin 8p a minute tariff for calls..(again another legacy product)

Virgin were unable to match my current legacy 8p plan, moving would be the same costs as with the new Orange/EE plan, so I have decided to stay with EE.

No hassle with PAC codes etc...

@Infinity wrote:

Earlier on today, in the Ofcom thread:

My LRS is due for renewal soon, I'm contemplating not renewing for ease of moving ISP.

Having said that I have had no real Plusnet related problems recently,  and some previous customers appear to have problems cutting the cord.

Is the grass really greener elsewhere ?

I decided to renew my LRS.

Not easy, the link in the renewal email was a dead end, so I rang PN CS, with some trepidation, having read horror stories here

PN CS LRS.jpg

After only 10 minutes, I was answered, 5 minutes later my LRS was renewed, with confirmation email whilst still chatting to CS.