cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical mouse mat

Fixes: 125

Optical mouse mat

I there such a thing?
Some time ago I mentioned in a thread how using the mouse on the veneered table has caused the mouse to malfunction over the worn area.
It started with the area on the sliding shelf next to the keyboard. I then used the top of the table to the right of the monitor now using to the left of the monitor which isn't comfortable being right-handed.
So, is there a mat that is suitable for use with infra-red mice?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Optical mouse mat

any mat will do that's not shiny, I used to buy the gaming mats but gave up after destroy them with coffee,  Now I just buy the cheapest of a decent size with a gel wrist rest
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017

Thanks. I've seen some for less than 2 squid.
My only problem with mats is they never seem big enough but I'll take your advice on a non-shiny one.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

kmilburn
Grafter

You should find a piece of paper will do the job too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you get an "official brown envelope"  ( A5 size) just slit it open all around and use the inside of the back of the envelope....
I have used this and it works....
At present , I am using a 9" X 6" piece of dolls house carpet, browny beige with a slight pattern, but it works fine as a Mouse Mat....  ( House Mat = Mouse Mat ! ! ! )  Cheesy
kdoug007
Grafter

mav  look on that well known  auction  site ,,, there  are  about  20 million  for  sale  mate
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mav
So, is there a mat that is suitable for use with infra-red mice?

Sheet of A4 paper does the trick nicely. Last time I checked you could get a pack of 500 from Tesco for a reasonable sum. Just make sure you get the white ones not RED - they're usually called laser / printer paper Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I remember the early optical mice (from Sun Microsystems) which required a special pad, which only worked one way round. But this was 1997!
Any matte surface should work just fine.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The surface required depends a lot on the mouse.  As some have suggested, plain paper or a similar matte surface will usually work well with all optical mice but some of the better Logitec mice (the ones with 'invisible optics' in particular) are relatively insensitive to the surface used (even claiming to work on surfaces such as glass), I haven't tested on glass but can certainly vouch for them working on surfaces where other mice fail (and batteries on wireless ones last for six months of regular use or more).
Avoid things like 'squared' paper as this will make some optical mice 'jump' all over the place (the cursor, not the actual mouse  Grin )
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Make sure it doesn't squeak when clicking.  Cheesy Grin
Anyway, seriously, if you go for a picture or pattern type the mouse can lose tracking on some colour boundaries. I'm not sure of the exact ones that cause this but it's something to keep in mind before purchase.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I use a rubberised 5mm thick mouse pad with a close weave plain fabric covering, works brilliantly.
And it's soft on the wrist, with some cushioning.
It also auto cleans the strips on the underside of my Magic Mouse.
(I double sided fix the pad to my smooth desktop to stop it sliding around)

Fixes: 105

Quote from: avatastic
I remember the early optical mice (from Sun Microsystems) which required a special pad, which only worked one way round. But this was 1997!

Yup, they were painful.
You can pick up the rubber mouse mats in any pound shop and these will suffice.
I often used an A4 pad   so I can make notes on it as well, with the lose part pointing up so it doesn't curl under my wrist.
Now I jut use a trackpad.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: dvorak
I often used an A4 pad   so I can make notes on it as well, with the lose part pointing up so it doesn't curl under my wrist.

Wouldn't work for me - I'm left-handed.

Quote from: kmilburn
You should find a piece of paper will do the job too.

Never thought of it but it does work. Currently using a sheet of white A4 80gsm; works wonders and practically free, too boot Smiley
Thanks.

jmd
Grafter

Can I recommend this mousemat
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAIRN-RESCUE-CHARITY-Genuine-Brite-Mat-MOUSE-MAT-Cairn-Terrier-Dog-/221127...
It is excellent quality, works well with optical mouse and supports Cairn Rescue as well!