cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opt out of unaddressed Mail

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Opt out of unaddressed Mail

Apparently, the Royal Mail is going to be delivering more unaddressed  mail (the mail and leaflets that come as an extra to your post)  and is normally addressed as "Occupier" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8558079.stm). If you want to cut
down on the amount you have to garbage, you can opt out of this by emailing to get an opt out form
(http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400126&mediaId=500081).
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Opt out of unaddressed Mail

The annoying thing is that some of the unaddressed mail is stuff we DO want (e.g. information from the council).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrC
Grafter

Most stuff from a council is addressed to "The Occupier" which still gets delivered even if you opt-out.
The RM email address to ask for the opt-out form is optout@royalmail.com. You get a pdf back by return which you fill out and send to a Freepost address.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The limit of 'unaddressed mail' was three items per home per week.
The new agreement between Royal Mail and the postal workers' union states: "To coincide with the introduction of the national agreement unit payments will cease and the three-items-per-week cap will be removed."
Saturday was the day no such items could be delivered. Posties don't deliver mail on Sundays. Royal Mail and rivals such as UK Mail and TNT deliver some 17.5bn items of unsolicited mail a year - 78% to households, 22% to businesses.
BSkyB, according to Nielsen Media Research topped the list of 'unaddressed mail senders'. Virgin Media and BT also ranked high on the list. Previous big spenders such as banks and other financial services pegged back their spending somewhat.
Community Veteran

When I get unaddressed mail delivered to me I just drop it back in a post box. Roll eyes
Community Veteran

i've done that, artmo.  i reckon if we all did it the post office might just catch on that we don't want this make-work rubbish.