cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opportunists

Fixes: 47

Opportunists

Yesterday I drove down to my grandson's school to pick him up as he decided to have tea at my house.

I parked up and waited.

Within 2 minutes a DPD delivery van arrived and parked opposite. The driver got out, collected a parcel from the back and walked off to a row of houses.

A few seconds later a youth appeared from the other side of the road and went to the driver's cab of the DPD van and checked the door which was locked.

He then went round to the back and checked the door there which was also locked. He then walked off.

Myself and two other people were sitting in our cars in full view but he obviously didn't care about that.

These days it is very advisable not to get involved in such situations and as it happens nothing was stolen in this case.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
15 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Opportunists

Pretty rotten when you get hit by an opportunist like that.

One of my daughter's had a couple of decent sized plant pots nicked from right outside her house in broad daylight last week. They were caught on a neighbours security camera and the police have made a note of the thieving tykes vehicle registration number - for all that will come of it.

Pinching plant pots, I dunno. Sad 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

There aren't many p pots around to steal nowadays.Crazy3

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I recently heard about a £500 Million pension pot being seized by an opportunist. Apparently the authorities are aware of the Yacht Registration Number. It is believed to be parked off Livorno.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Strat did he look like this guy ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx-3THfnHyM

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Given the closeness to expensive present-giving day, it's not surprising there's opportunists following courier vans to steal from as they're probably carrying several thousand pounds worth of stuff in the back, thank goodness for central locking... Grin

As for people stealing from yards, that's why I put up my IP Camera, we had a hose reel stolen from the yard last year, not something you'd think would be worth anything to anyone (unless they too were after pots, to grow pot), but they would have had to known it was there, because it was tucked in by my shed out of sight of the road, so they must have wandered in seeing all the plantpots and saw the hose, then wandered off with it, was reported to the police, but given it wasn't a bugatti veyron with a high-value reward for its return, they didn't do anything about it...

On the plus side, since putting up the IP Camera, it did catch someone last year trying doors on both sides of the street at around 3am (and someone down the street did leave their door unlocked sadly), and the footage was used as evidence in putting them behind bars, and funnily enough, the frequency of burglaries in the area went down... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If it's not nailed down then it's likely to get nicked but there are exceptions to that rule, years ago we had some workmen doing some work near our house and as they were leaving I noticed a pick and a couple of old shovels had been left.

I asked them were they not bothered about them getting stolen, their reply was, ' Highly unlikely, no one is going to steal something like this, they are too old to be worth anything and they are not going to take them to do some work'

I guess they could be used by someone to force a door or window but thought it better to keep that comment to myself.

Community Veteran

When I chatted to some police about a spade being stolen from my shed they said it will probably be found at a break in somewhere else that same night.

Wasn't there a tv crime advert about keeping your tools locked up because of that? But sheds are not Fort Knox and never will be.

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:But sheds are not Fort Knox and never will be.

Indeed, that's why my IP camera is in a prominent, visible position overlooking my shed and the yard, biggest deterrent against people committing shed crime is that dull red glowing halo (the Infrared ring for the night vision) over the front door... Smiley

Hell, even when I was setting up the camera for the first time, I noted a scrapvan was driving by, I'd left the ladders out by the door (which I was behind trying to crimp an RJ45 plug onto some Cat5E), that slowed down significantly to look at the ladders, they looked up and saw the camera, and even though it wasn't even on yet, they were visibly deterred and squeaked their wheels as they shot off... Funny

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote: they were visibly deterred and squeaked their wheels as they shot off... Funny

All that money we used to save when it was beat police that did the deterring.

Community Veteran

Indeed, but, £23 for the camera, some Cat5e supplied by virgin media back in the day (I preferred their self-install packages, cos I'm able to put an F-plug onto a TV box and a modem myself!!), and the 12v PSU from the Plusnet-supplied modem-router and it's kept most bad 'uns out of the yard... Smiley

That's the trouble with thieving sods, they make life difficult for the rest of us who are protecting our own...

Fixes: 47

I have a camera watching the front of the house where my car is parked.

The output is fed to a NAS.

It surprises me what I see at 3am. People walking their dogs, cats, foxes and loads of taxis and I live on a quiet side road.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The most I see during the night is nextdoor's cat, a cat from up the street, a feral tabby tom that had somehow broken its tail (but seems to be okay now), and the occasional drunk on a friday night/saturday morning staggering home...

I keep the camera aimed away from the road though (only has something like 1/16th of the picture seeing the road), as the law states that you can only record what is yours, and anything else goes against the data protection act, and I have "CCTV In operation" signs up so that's me covered legally, not had any complaints though, even showed my neighbours what it sees so they're happy... Smiley

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I work highly irregular hours (no, i'm not a burglar), and sometimes leave for work at 3 am; on other days I come home at about 2 am, and there is usually someone walking their dogs even at those times.

Having sat on the jury in a burglary case where we convicted a man described by the judge as a professional burglar (apparently a legal category) I was surprised at the lenient sentence handed down, and of course it was to be served concurrently with the sentence the man had already started serving so was no real punishment at all.  Concurrent sentences mean that it's advantageous to commit lots of burglaries, and - when caught - to ask for all of them to be taken into consideration thereby only really being punished for one with perhaps a couple of months extra added for the remainder.  The law is indeed an ass and will continue to be so as long as those who make it are asses.

Community Veteran

Yes, the laws on burglary and theft need to be made more serious, as at the moment it's more of a "oh you, you silly boy (or girl) *slap on the wrist*, don't to it again, okay? Now off you go for an ice cream!" system than a "Right, you've done something against the law and now you shall be punished, and if you do it again, the punishment will be worse" system like it used to be, but it won't happen so long as we have people in charge who just don't see that being nice to criminals just makes them laugh and keep doing what they do... Crazy2