cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Opinions

Everyone in most circumstances have the right to express an opinion about any subject but do news presenters or newspapers have the right to express an opinion on things.

I am not talking about an article or interview by someone not working for the press, of course such should be published, I am talking about tv interviewers who express their own opinion or interpretation on what is happening, they are there to present the news, that is what they get paid for, and not for their personal views.

Agree or disagree ?

25 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Opinions

We have the right to express an opinion, but only if it done so responsibility.

Those in receipt of our opinions verbal or otherwise also have the right not to be insulted, treated unfairly or be put in any danger because of them. 

Does this always happen? Unfortunately not.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

i don't see anything wrong with tv interviewers offering their own opinion on the topic being discussed.
but tv interviewers aren't there to present the news, they are there to interview.
newsreaders are there to present the news, but again i don't see anything wrong with them offering an opinion.

this blanket impartialilty that we seem to demand in the UK doesn't sit well with me.
and just because someone doesn't agree with an opinion doesn't mean that opinion can't be voiced.
everyone has the right to be offended, but that doesn't overrule the right to voice opinion.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

it is hard to find a newspaper that is completly impartial , its the same with a interviews despite their best intentions .

same here sometimes you have to bite your lip in what you post , carefull choice of words are needed Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero

But giving an opinion and causing offence whilst being different sides of the same coin are not the same thing chenks. Rights to offend must remain as should rights to be offended as you say, but both carry the weight of responsibility do they not?

But then as that chap said in an episode of Friends, "Well smack my *** and call me Judy" Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJbfBww4fKs

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

but just because someone is offended doesn't make them right.
them being offended is entirely of their own choice.
whether someone gets offended or not should not devalue the original opinion that was voiced.

certain parts of the media seem to be too scared to voice any sort of opinion.
that, IMO, is just as bad as forciing an opinion on someone.
Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, and no argument from me there. Smiley 

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Every now and then, wifey (or chief food-giver) asks me for an opinion. Whether it's the dress she just bought or the perfume she's just tried. I give my opinion in an honest way just to have that opinion ignored ..so what's the point in her asking in the first place? Undecided

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

@Pete11

You are a brave chap to be giving an honest opinion on those sort of topics.

Smiley

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

I have to be honest, cos if she finds otherwise then chief food-giver will leave a message saying "just nipped out, dinner in the dog" , besides, would you tell your wifey, partner, significant other that their bum really does look big in that? I'm not that brave. Roll eyes

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

chenks76 wrote:
i don't see anything wrong with tv interviewers offering their own opinion on the topic being discussed.
but tv interviewers aren't there to present the news, they are there to interview.
newsreaders are there to present the news, but again i don't see anything wrong with them offering an opinion.

this blanket impartialilty that we seem to demand in the UK doesn't sit well with me.
and just because someone doesn't agree with an opinion doesn't mean that opinion can't be voiced.
everyone has the right to be offended, but that doesn't overrule the right to voice opinion.

But if you are interviewing someone you are there to get their opinion on a subject, sure you can ask them to justify what they say or quote stuff they have said before but should it not be left to the viewer or reader to form their own opinion based on what has been said.

I note that in some cases such as inter views with the Royal family the interviewer does not make any critical comments ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Pete11 wrote:

Every now and then, wifey (or chief food-giver) asks me for an opinion. Whether it's the dress she just bought or the perfume she's just tried. I give my opinion in an honest way just to have that opinion ignored ..so what's the point in her asking in the first place? Undecided

Ah but would it get ignored, if she asked 'Pete, does my bum look big in this?' and you replied, "Well actually, it does, which is most unusual for you, it must be the pattern." I'd bet she won't buy that dress!

Community Veteran

are they only able to form an opinion if they hear from just the one person?
why would the opinion of the interviewer cause the viewer to not be able to form their own opinion?
Community Veteran

Journalists should report the news, not make the news.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Like with Watergate you mean? Wink